• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm Role - Contractors Interviewing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might be surprised. In the NHS the move from contractors to permies is only partly based on cost. There are other factors - maximum permitted headcount (conractors don't count so are brought it to boost the staffig levels above the headcount cap, and that restraint may be removed at some point), revenue expenditure vs capital expenditure (it's easier to 'capitalise' expenditure on contractors). It may be they just have to get rid of the contractors. And the contractors probably know this and may well be moving onto somewhere else in the NHS, and will play ball accordingly - it's a small world.

Or maybe not. Let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I had an interview once where I had trouble remembering my own phone number...
      I interviewed somone who turned up drunk - he decided to show up after his leaving do at his last place. Arrogant fker too (though could have been the booze talking!). CV went straight in the bin after that.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well I went anyway!

I can also say right now I will not get the job!

Had around 12-15 questions [architecture based] which I flew through and to be honest alot who arent in this field could answer!

The most comical thing was on entry

"Oh you are are contractor and worked for short periods" - At which point I thought - "Yes, you should have known that before you short listed me". Bearing in mind I havent done a role in over 12 year for less than 12 months.

I think my biggest mistake was telling the Assistant CTO that my medium term goal was to take his role

The questions were - hmm very simplistic and it wouldnt surprise me if they take on the Tier 1 permies who are set in their ways.

Id expect a call tomorrow afternoon telling me I was not successful.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Isn't that on a par with asking "What does SAP stand for?". My answer would be, I don't know, don't care. What relevance does it have?

HomoSAPien ?

I dont know but if its in demand and sexy - bish bang bop - SAP is now on AJPs computering CV.

So lets see - Experienced SAP Professional - tssk is it one or two s in prof...ach - is it one or to f's in Prof - who cares ?

So - lets see - Experienced SAP Professional but due to Global Credit Crunch willing to work for a fiver if pushed

Perfect.

Any lucrative cushy Gov contracts for a SAP ?

PS I have good security - will bring my own dog
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 December 2008, 07:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            I interviewed somone who turned up drunk - he decided to show up after his leaving do at his last place. Arrogant fker too (though could have been the booze talking!). CV went straight in the bin after that.

The Cheeky Blighter - he didnt even offer you a wee drink at the interview ?

Quite Right Sir - leave his name and address in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I've met people who claim to be competent developers with database experience, yet don't know the expansion of SQL
              Well, I know what it stands for but I do think that knowing that is incidental to being able to code it. Though as a general rule for a technical role I'd want people who are so curious by nature that they want to know what every abbreviation stands for, and probably have wanted to know that since about age 5.

Comment

I once interviewed someone who talkked for 1 hour about what he had been doing the last 4 years......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I once interviewed someone who talkked for 1 hour about what he had been doing the last 4 years......
                  I had one like that, Italian guy. Made it very difficult to ask questions to determine whether he knew anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I watched the IT crowd the other week... at an interview the woman was asked "What does IT stand for"... she didn't know, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember either....
                    it's when places call it "ICT". that confused me for a while!
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                      it's when places call it "ICT". that confused me for a while!
                      Fancy not knowing what IT means ???

Invoice Total - any idiot knows that.

Or even a SAP - which reminds me - wheres me CV ...

PS - ICT - Invoice Currency Total for when you are contracting in Holland and need to invoice in Guilders etc
                      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 December 2008, 09:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X