• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which high street name is going to go bust next sweestake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I hope not JL is one of the few shops I really like, some people perceive JL as expensive but the overall quality of the goods on offer is very high and their warranties, price matches and customer service have been excellent IMO.
    I agree, value for money high. When price is a factor but not the only one, it's a good choice.

Comment

Yes, I agree. They sell good quality Jonelle bed linen, duvets and sheets etc, and it'll be a damn shame if that goes. Mind you, I didn't think much of their menswear dept when I looked in recently. But then you could say the same of Harrods now.

I was in Harrods a couple of months ago, with a view to buying some trousers whose legs needed taking up, and the assistant said they'd be ready in several hours. When I mentioned that the "turnaround" time (literally!) was only half an hour a couple of years ago, he said with a weary sigh "Ah, that was then". Obviously things aren't what they were. He was evidently an old timer and must have been pretty disillusioned to reveal his feelings like that to a customer.

So maybe add Harrods to the list, mug tourists not withstanding?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Yes, I agree. They sell good quality Jonelle bed linen, duvets and sheets etc, and it'll be a damn shame if that goes. Mind you, I didn't think much of their menswear dept when I looked in recently. But then you could say the same of Harrods now.

I was in Harrods a couple of months ago, with a view to buying some trousers whose legs needed taking up, and the assistant said they'd be ready in several hours. When I mentioned that the "turnaround" time (literally!) was only half an hour a couple of years ago, he said with a weary sigh "Ah, that was then". Obviously things aren't what they were. He was evidently an old timer and must have been pretty disillusioned to reveal his feelings like that to a customer.

So maybe add Harrods to the list, mug tourists not withstanding?
        <grumpy old man>
        that is true of much of Britain: what once had an outstanding reputation because it had earned it, now lives off selling that to tourists, and doesn't need to be really outstanding any more.
        </grumpy old man>

Comment

Robert Dyas. Went in looking for a pack of fuses last week and couldn't move for all the "JML" tat and dancing, singing, plastic xmas trees.

Comment

Poundland.

I mean, what's a pound going to buy you?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Poundland.

These shops appear to be opening up all over the place. A new one on a posh street near me, and in town, two on opposite sides of the same street. There seems to be a few varieties of these shops though. PoundShop and PoundLand or something like tat.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                No chance, they’re one of the darlings of the high street though I have noticed a drop in quality over the past year or so.

So much so I bought my winter ‘V’ necks from Marks & Sparks this year, nice Italian wool with silk weave.
                Yes, unfortunately that was wishful thinking on my part. Was dragged there by Mrs MM - plenty of customers.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                John Lewis (or so I heard a month or two ago)
                Not a chance - absolutely heaving on Saturday in Kingston.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

M&S was bursting. I thought the tills were going to catch fire.

There is no downturn (or credit is easy again).

Comment

There is no downturn (or credit is easy again).

35% APR store cards

Comment

Poundland.

Wrong again DP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7783200.stm
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X