• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

France has fallen - La Chute continuez ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not the Ardennes again? Will they never learn

Afraid the old Maignot line was ineffective - the recession simply drove North through Belgium and the regime fell.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      Afraid the old Maignot line was ineffective - the recession simply drove North through Belgium and the regime fell.
      Never understood the Maginot Line myself: in WWI the Germans attacked France through Belgium, because it got them a closer start; while at the same time the French attacked Germany though Alsace because it got them a closer start.

So after that war, the French built fortifications over the bit that was good for their attack, not the bit that was good for the Germans' attack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Sounds idyllic. Where do I sign up?
        Via the SKA interface.

HTH

Comment

But at least France can feed herself.
          Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          But not wash herself
          I have a 1 year old like that, she has a tendency to poo in the bath.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I have a 1 year old like that, she has a tendency to poo in the bath.
            There are worse places.

My son pooed himself at HK disney : fun time that was......

Comment

Wasn't there a thread on here in the last week or so saying how much better off Europe is in general, and the french are in particular, than us?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Wasn't there a thread on here in the last week or so saying how much better off Europe is in general, and the french are in particular, than us?
                Yes.Nothing's changed
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yes.Nothing's changed
                  Indeed. I won't be back in a hurry.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Never understood the Maginot Line myself: in WWI the Germans attacked France through Belgium, because it got them a closer start; while at the same time the French attacked Germany though Alsace because it got them a closer start.

So after that war, the French built fortifications over the bit that was good for their attack, not the bit that was good for the Germans' attack
                    What the French millitary didnt understand was the rapid mobility of the Nazi attack - Blitzkreig they called it.

I recall remembering reading about how after the resignation of a senior French Army commander a Nazi intelligent officer recieved a breifing about his replacement - he replied

"'Yes - I know him -we captured him an hour ago."

And they had as well.

Even Hitler couldnt believe how quickly the collpase of the French Army happened - they thought the campaign would last a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                      What the French millitary didnt understand was the rapid mobility of the Nazi attack - Blitzkreig they called it.
                      That served the French right. Blitzkrieg was invented by a young French lieutenant called Charles de Gaulle as a result of what he had seen in WWI. The French general staff ignored it.

Comment

Working...
                      X