• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting the most out of your agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xerxes
    Hey, what about me? Or is it because I is Persian that you has left me out?
    sorry dont know how I missed you, welcome new X member

Comment

Originally posted by Xtoad

As for you Spartacus ...you're only an 'S'. Now please leave quietly.
      Well said Xtoad !!

Soon we shal rule the world!!! or maybe just this little orner of the forum.

Xoggoth, I dont want you to feel left out, we of course have a place for you,im thinking along the lines of court jester...

Comment

I struggle to understand how or why CUK could have published such a stupid, idiotic and patronising article.

Publishing such an article patronises contractors to the point of insulting them.

I don't know who was the more desperate and foolish; REC for writing it or CUK for publishing it.
        Last edited by BobTheCrate; 20 September 2005, 01:20.

Comment

well im afraid to say thats the way agents look upon contracters, like catle...

if you read any of there trade mags you can see just how bigheaded they think they are.

OK i know its a business they are running but there apears to be a certain lack of respect there

and heres anothe piece of sponcered bulltulip

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002291.html

The British Computer Society sounds like a club for aging mainframe people complete with long beards, who's going to take them seriously thesedays

Comment

The British Computer Society sounds like a club for aging mainframe people complete with long beards, who's going to take them seriously thesedays
            You could always join "The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists" or "the Internet Masonic Lodge"
            Last edited by The Late, Great JC; 20 September 2005, 07:19.
            Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
            You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
              Quickly runs off to touch himself....
              Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I think the article by the agent is OK.

That's the sort of stuff I expect from a good agent, especially the sales/marketing and money administration, and mine normally rake off less than 10%.

Have the rest of you been unlucky with the agents you use?

Agree about the British Computer Society though. The words "heads", "up", "their", "own" and "@rses" spring to mind when anyone mentions them to me.

Comment

Most agents ring round their client base pestering for requirements. These requirements are posted on jobserve.

Contractors search jobserve using their skills as a key. Once a contractor finds a suitable contract he/she(although *she* should be busy washing and ironing) then email their CV to the agent who then may or may not ring the contractor to arrange the sending of the CV to the client.

If the Client thinks that the contractor may be suitable then they contact the agent who will then arrange for the Contractor to attend the interview.

The Contractor may or may not attend the interview. If he does and the Client "likes" the contractor then the agent will organise contracts/paperwork etc.
                  Now, above is the reality of the situation. The article posted by the agent was a complete fairytale...
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    Another x! Why is everyone x all of a sudden??? What's wrong with f or w?
                    I blame you. You started it.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                      Now, above is the reality of the situation.
                      Point taken.

Comment

Working...
                      X