• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F1 Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    . This comes after they widened the point spread a couple of seasons ago to make it more fair...
    to give the tulip teams something to play for.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by davedave View Post
      No rumours of a buyer ?

Don't get this How can the team be bought. It would still be the Honda team using Honda kit. The buyer would need to pay Honda to support the whole operation.

No-one gonna buy it, the whole thing's a worthless thrill trip, nothing else.

PS: Why did Honda have it in the first place?

Comment

I would have thought they would at less give Ross Brawn a fair crack of the whip first. But who knows?

Comment

People didn't get interested in motor racing to see scalextric cars driven by multi-millionaires and banks of computers, on the other side of the world, going round and round sterile tracks watched by a few people in the stands (they don't fill them) in countries with little or no tradition in the sport.

I miss the goggles, the bales of hay, and Murray Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I miss the goggles, the bales of hay, and Murray Walker.
            Right on.

Lotus & Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt & Hesketh racing, huge tyres, dolly birds, champers, JPS etc etc.

I do not doubt the skill of the drivers today but I doubt many of them even contemplate the real chance of death or serious injury that was always lurking in periphery back then.

It’s just too sterile these days.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              Don't get this How can the team be bought. It would still be the Honda team using Honda kit. The buyer would need to pay Honda to support the whole operation.

No-one gonna buy it, the whole thing's a worthless thrill trip, nothing else.

PS: Why did Honda have it in the first place?
              Honda already supply engines to at least one other team

I guess that the buyer would be buying the existing infrastructure, cars, engines, staff, drivers and everything else that comes with an F1 team including entry into next years F1 championship.
              I doubt that Honda would closely support the new team owners, the mechanics who would be part of the deal should already know every little nut and bolt on those Honda cars.

Going on from there they might continue to use Honda parts or they might go elsewhere. It's not just Honda who supply equipment to other teams.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I’m pretty sure there will be more casualties, Toyota will probably follow Honda, Super Aguri are effectively the Honda ‘B Team’ so they’ll be under pressure, Force India is always changing hands due to the high running costs and how a caffeinated drinks manufacturer can sustain 2 teams is beyond me?

As for the rest… are Renault, Mercedes, BMW & Ferrari selling lots of cars at the moment?

I guess it’s tough for a team like Honda to justify closing its Swindon factory for 2 months (probably longer) whilst they’re winking away £500m on a playboy sport, the other true manufacturers will be thinking the same.

Maybe they should all be forced to use 50cc Go-karts for a couple of seasons?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Honda already supply engines to at least one other team
                  I didn't know that! They used to support another team last year but withdrew it. Renault supplies Red Bull and Ferrari supplies Toro Rosso. I don't know any others...

Anyway its all a farce now....Nevermind about the costs to the teams. How about the costs to the tracks. Bernie charges huge fees which I'm sure are never recouped from the two fans that come to watch.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7766092.stm

Super Aguri have already gone belly up and all the technicians have been absorbed by the main honda team.

A friend of mine used to work for SA and has since woved on with his team to honda.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Right on.

Lotus & Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt & Hesketh racing, huge tyres, dolly birds, champers, JPS etc etc.

I do not doubt the skill of the drivers today but I doubt many of them even contemplate the real chance of death or serious injury that was always lurking in periphery back then.

It’s just too sterile these days.
                      I rather like seeing the pre-war grand prix cars. Chaps sitting in a big leather chair, sporting goggles, leather helmets and white cotton, sometimes smoking a pipe while wrestling with a huge wooden steering wheel to try to control a big wrought iron monster with a supercharged 6 liter engine, drum brakes and thin wheels on a track full of hills, adverse camber bends and potholes.

This kind of thing;
                      http://forix.autosport.com/8w/merced...nur38-test.jpg

Those guys were hard.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X