• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons why the recession will be short-lived (we hope!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Like it did for Zimbabwe?
    Not as prolonged. We just need a short sharp dose of hyperinflation, just enough to wipe out savings and nullify borrowings, without it damaging the economy. A kind of wealth redistribution.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Not as prolonged. We just need a short sharp dose of hyperinflation, just enough to wipe out savings and nullify borrowings, without it damaging the economy. A kind of wealth redistribution.
      That will be good for the old people who can't get a job!

Of course then everyone would never save just in case it happened again! It would be Vivien Nicholson all over again.....

Comment

That will be good for the old people who can't get a job!

Of course then everyone would never save just in case it happened again! It would be Vivien Nicholson all over again.....
        Not if it is done sneakily. You tell people inflation is really low.

Comment

Not if it is done sneakily. You tell people inflation is really low.
          Which might actually work! Well I saw on the BBC recently that prices were coming down as inflation had dropped from 5.2% to 4.7%!!

Comment

Which might actually work! Well I saw on the BBC recently that prices were coming down as inflation had dropped from 5.2% to 4.7%!!
            Yep, a sure sign we need to get the printing presses out. I just hope we have enough paper.

Comment

Yep, a sure sign we need to get the printing presses out. I just hope we have enough paper.
              I don't think the UK manufactures the correct type of paper any longer, so we'd need foreign exchange to buy the paper, but we'd need to print some off first to buy some in.

Alternastively, do you think they'd let Brown have it on easy credit terms?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Has anyone seen the film 'children of men'? Our society will look and feel much like that in 10 years time. On a bad day it already does.
                Indeed.

Comment

Has anyone seen the film 'children of men'? Our society will look and feel much like that in 10 years time. On a bad day it already does.
                  No I haven't. What is society like in it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    4) Gordo and Darling are pumping money into the economy.
                    I wonder what fertilizer they use on their money tree.

Comment

The only consolation being that mainland Europe will be even worse off
                      Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      No I haven't. What is society like in it?
                      ****ed.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X