• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom III

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    If you'd used your full limit every year since PEPs/ISAs came out (1990?), with the compound growth you'd have a very decent fund by now.
    Well, I did not start earning half decent money until 2000, and I felt that having cash in bank was preferable to being involved in these schemes.

It was also part of my protest against Govt policies regarding savings so I did not use their ISAs. £7k was shares option which I did not want to get into and £3k cash ISA was laughable size in my view, small enough to make point of principle not to use it for sure.

Interest rates on savings should have been 0%.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Well, I did not start earning half decent money until 2000, and I felt that having cash in bank was preferable to being involved in these schemes.

It was also part of my protest against Govt policies regarding savings so I did not use their ISAs. £7k was shares option which I did not want to get into and £3k cash ISA was laughable size in my view, small enough to make point of principle not to use it for sure.

Interest rates on savings should have been 0%.
      I imagine that the Gov's near-implosion upon learning of your heroic protest will be made public, one day. Bravo, AtW!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
        I imagine that the Gov's near-implosion upon learning of your heroic protest will be made public, one day. Bravo, AtW!
        Govt did not give a tulip. That's what Govts do.

I did not even try to buy house in the UK because prices were overinflated - I have exercised correct judgement in the face of temptation and only wish more people did the same.

Comment

Govt did not give a tulip. That's what Govts do.

I did not even try to buy house in the UK because prices were overinflated - I have exercised correct judgement in the face of temptation and only wish more people did the same.
          So why "protest"?

Comment

So why "protest"?
            Because those poor souls that took up on this pathetic offer from Govt helped Govt justify existance of the offer. If it was boycotted by majority then they would have to improve it substantially.

Same with houses - if enough people refused to get so much in debt to buy a house then houses would never reach current levels even if banks offered 125% morgages.

This kind of logic should be taught in schools - that's the only way society can avoid such major pitfalls.

In any case I feel that I did my bit on both counts.

Comment

Because those poor souls that took up on this pathetic offer from Govt helped Govt justify existance of the offer. If it was boycotted by majority then they would have to improve it substantially.

Same with houses - if enough people refused to get so much in debt to buy a house then houses would never reach current levels even if banks offered 125% morgages.

This kind of logic should be taught in schools - that's the only way society can avoid such major pitfalls.

That's true over the last two or three years, but if you'd purchased six years ago before the price boom really got going you'd be quids in, even after the slump.

But I accept you couldn't if you didn't have the funds at the time.

PEPs were simply a way of saving long-term which, over time, would give a much better return than a deposit account. I think they were a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                But I accept you couldn't if you didn't have the funds at the time.
                Well I did have funds, but I certainly did not like idea of share ISAs and cash ISAs in my view were insultingly small and I did want to lock in money into scheme that might not be liquid. Savings account did it for me.

Comment

Did your bit? But you have already conceded that nobody on planet Earth knew about your "protest". By missing the simple step of advertising your "protest", you have, in effect, made a big dog egg of your whole plan. Sorry, but that's the sad, yet hilarious, truth.

Comment

Did your bit? But you have already conceded that nobody on planet Earth knew about your "protest".
                    My protest was a logical move that any long-term strategist would make. I don't need to advertise it, it's something people should be taught in school.

Comment

Working...
                    X