• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoops! Another £5 billion bill for the taxpayer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    it is up to each country to set its own taxation bands in order to compete for businesses to locate in them.
    I think this system does not work well - small/medium business are stuck and can't move, but big businesses can exploit this easily because they are very mobile.

I'd like everyone to get low taxes, not just a handful of companies with creative accouting - every time they do it results in higher taxation burden from others who can't afford £1k per hour tax barrister - this means citizens of the country and vast majority of businesses.

The only way to address this issue is have unified tax system with small local variations - duty on petrol for example should be the same across Europe.

There will be a point when vast majority of EU members agree with this - there will be a handful that don't - UK and most likely Ireland. I'd say if a handful of members have such a serious disagreements in a team and don't want to play with the team, then they should be out of the team. Then they can keep their taxes, currency etc - fine.

Comment

Working...
    X