• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple ad banned again for dishonesty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I recall seeing that ad and thinking it was a tad optimistic - there was a disclaimer at end though, something like "this ad is bollocks but as the phone only sells to fashion victims we don't need to worry" I think that was it - it flashed up so quick
    About the size of it. The current text is along the lines of: "Some scenes removed from sequence, actual performance will vary according to location"

The original ad simply stated "network performance will vary by location"
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I noticed that ad and wondered how long it would last after their last one got banned.

Comment

The ad seems to belong in a long and (dis)honourable line of ads by various (American) companies, where they defend an ad's dishonesty by claiming that it didn't mean to imply what it clearly did imply.

My favourite remains McDonalds' from 5 years ago:

McDonald's fries advert is banned

The advert says after selecting certain potatoes "we peel them, slice them, fry them and that's it".

But complainants said parts of the process had been omitted, such as par-frying, freezing and adding salt and a dextrose sugar solution.

The magazine advertisement featured a photograph of a potato in a fries box below the headline "The story of our fries (end of story)."

McDonald's said the advert was "not intended to be a literal and comprehensive statement of all the processes involved".
        Comment: so what are "and that's it" and "end of story" supposed to mean then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I'm getting one next week - can't wait!
          It's no G1, I'll say that for it.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
            The problem is, nobody wants to sit watching a 8 min ad while the iphone is attemting to connect, load its homepage, you type in your url, then wait. There is also the option of waiting @20 mins for it to find you with its GPS?

Don't even get me started on the mail....

Boring and laughable
            Do you live in the sticks? A couple of my mates have got and say it's fine (round that London way)...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Do you live in the sticks? A couple of my mates have got and say it's fine (round that London way)...
              Ah! The center of the universe? Sorry, I live waaaay up in the north east where all phone's seem to work OK bar the iphone, and yes....it is only the iphone, more like iphoney
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Apple/whoever: can't be as bad as T-Mobile's Web-n-Walk.

Web-n-Wait... forever, more like.

Comment

The adverts don't appear to have been banned.

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                    Ah! The center of the universe? Sorry, I live waaaay up in the north east where all phone's seem to work OK bar the iphone, and yes....it is only the iphone, more like iphoney
                    Well, your ire should probably be directed at o2ey but hey ho. The iphone is obviously for metrosexuals only...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      Well, your ire should probably be directed at o2ey but hey ho. The iphone is obviously for metrosexuals only...
                      Whatever, I suppose you know best, the last I saw, it was the latest fasion accessory, in a Stabucks in Kings X, full of spotty student types, obviously happy with their 24 month, £40 per month tariff. The funny thing was most of them couldn't connect to the internet?!!!?!?! It was the only sentence I could hear, "I got no connection"... I assume they meant the internet?

And they can still afford to sit around drinking? Ah the joys of London...
                      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                      X