• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex landlord from two years ago claiming I am still resident as a tenant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The issue here seems mainly debt collectors who try to collect utilities money, I doubt one legal letter would work on them.
    Car fire - the only way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      I have a dated and signed tenancy agreement from the landlord stating when the tenancy agreement STARTED .... and I have a a letter from the Local Council Tax Borough clearly stating an official END date of my tenancy and that the Council had been in contact with my landlord CONFIRMING this tenancy END date.

should be case closed but I just don't want any more hasstle.
      Get a lawyer.

Comment

After defeating the debt collection agency and my landlord by sending letters proving my innocence I now suspect that the ex-landlord is up to his old tricks again.

Does anyone know of a good London solicitor or legal firm that deals with ex-landlords forwarding you incorrectly to Debt Collection Agencies for monies that YOU DO NOT OWE ????

Comment

After defeating the debt collection agency and my landlord by sending letters proving my innocence I now suspect that the ex-landlord is up to his old tricks again.

Does anyone know of a good London solicitor or legal firm that deals with ex-landlords forwarding you incorrectly to Debt Collection Agencies for monies that YOU DO NOT OWE ????
          I would go to your local pikey campsite and pay them to kick the tulip out him.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I haven't read all the thread so forgive me if I am repeating someone, but under secition 17 of the 1994 Criminal Justice Act, this is illegal.

I quote:
            17.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person who, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, makes any unwarranted demand with menaces.
            (2) For the purposes of this section—
            ( a ) a demand with menaces shall be unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—
            (i) that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand, and
            (ii) that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand;

( b ) the nature of the act or omission demanded shall be immaterial and it shall also be immaterial whether or not the menaces relate to action to be taken by the person making the demand.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
            ( a ) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both,
            ( b ) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or to both.

Any solicitor will handle this for you, and if the facts are as you state them and as I understand them, it should be very straightforward.

Usual disclaimer though - this isn't legal advice and you do need to consult a solicitor. I am merely pointing out the relevant law for you
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              I haven't read all the thread so forgive me if I am repeating someone, but under secition 17 of the 1994 Criminal Justice Act, this is illegal.

I quote:
              17.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person who, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, makes any unwarranted demand with menaces.
              (2) For the purposes of this section—
              ( a ) a demand with menaces shall be unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—
              (i) that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand, and
              (ii) that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand;

( b ) the nature of the act or omission demanded shall be immaterial and it shall also be immaterial whether or not the menaces relate to action to be taken by the person making the demand.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
              ( a ) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both,
              ( b ) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or to both.

Any solicitor will handle this for you, and if the facts are as you state them and as I understand them, it should be very straightforward.

Usual disclaimer though - this isn't legal advice and you do need to consult a solicitor. I am merely pointing out the relevant law for you
              If the relevant law that is broken is known surely its a job for the police?

A friend was once in similar situation : went to police. They said not their business. My friend quoted the law. Police went to look it up : then said yes its an offence and we will sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                If the relevant law that is broken is known surely its a job for the police?

A friend was once in similar situation : went to police. They said not their business. My friend quoted the law. Police went to look it up : then said yes its an offence and we will sort it.
                I thought the police were there to generate revenues and protect the labour party? Have they started dealing with real crime now too?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                X