• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex landlord from two years ago claiming I am still resident as a tenant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    No, he made a lame excuse and took the deposit from me
    Do you have anything dated in writing for that period? If you do that proves landlord was aware of you leaving tenancy and that's the key point.

Next time don't allow landlords get away with taking your deposit - my ex-ex-landlady made bogus accusations and sued me in small claims court where she successfully lost on all counts and got CCJ in the end. I sure hope she is getting very high rates now.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    What worries me is the potential for fraud, my suspicion is that the landlord set up a water rates bill on my behalf misspelling my name and getting the flat completely wrong (I can prove all this) ... then after I left .. after I cancelled the direct debit the landlord never canceled the account that he had set up using my name. I need to check this out really.
    If you go to court and win you will be able to use his bank account to arrest money he owes you, I did that and it worked a like a treat - bank manager of that person wrote me back with cheque for the amount and he clearly madea note on that customer account that they got CCJ

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      I am not a lawyer, if you need further advice, I'd advise you to touch base with your local citizen’s advice bureau that can provide legal advice free of charge.
      That was a brilliant post, until you said "touch base".

But apart from that, some excellent advice I think!

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
        That was a brilliant post, until you said "touch base".

But apart from that, some excellent advice I think!

Rhubarb.
        Avoid CAB. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not ex-LA Hot Shot Lawyers (like Shark, et al) who want to give something back; they are often old ladies and gents who are as clueless as oneself. Part with £100 - 200 and get a lawyer on the landlord's back.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Do you have anything dated in writing for that period? If you do that proves landlord was aware of you leaving tenancy and that's the key point.
          I have a dated and signed tenancy agreement from the landlord stating when the tenancy agreement STARTED .... and I have a a letter from the Local Council Tax Borough clearly stating an official END date of my tenancy and that the Council had been in contact with my landlord CONFIRMING this tenancy END date.

should be case closed but I just don't want any more hasstle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            Part with £100 - 200 and get a lawyer on the landlord's back.
            Maybe one hour consultation with lawyer is handy but avoid hiring them to deal with the case - it will go to small claims (at best) and this means you won't recover legal costs.

Comment

Forum

This forum dispenses free legal advice

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/

I have no idea why they do it for free but you should at least be able to establish your position from a legal standpoint
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Maybe one hour consultation with lawyer is handy but avoid hiring them to deal with the case - it will go to small claims (at best) and this means you won't recover legal costs.
                I meant a letter - see my previous post. If that fails, set his car on fire - often tips the balance in one's favour.***

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                  I meant a letter - see my previous post. If that fails, set his car on fire - often tips the balance in one's favour.***
                  The issue here seems mainly debt collectors who try to collect utilities money, I doubt one legal letter would work on them.

Comment

The issue here seems mainly debt collectors who try to collect utilities money, I doubt one legal letter would work on them.
                    Congratulations on actually having read the post!

Comment

The debt collectors are working on behalf of the landlord ?
                      when you say the landlord set up a bill in your name, do you mean that he set up an account in your name with the utilities company ?

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X