• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's how "fair" speed cameras are

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great driver, me.

I'm in the top 20% of UK drivers.

Just like 80% of UK drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
      You've never seen a troupe of baboons that have gorged on fermenting fruit? The Big Market in Newcastle doesn't then appear so distant to the plains of the serengheti.

spare me a banana?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        We could do with 30 mph speed limiters on cars for town, since no matter how careful your are, you're bound to exceed the limit by a few mph occasionally, unless you drive at say 25 mph and risk being a nuisance. I recently passed a detector van and looked at my speedo and it was, fortunately, on precisely 30 mph. I hope my speedo is accurate, but I say lucky because it was on a downward stretch of open road and one could easily let it creep up to 33 mph or so before realising it, especially when you have tail-gaiters.
        Some cars already have limiters. All speedos are optimistic. You won't get nicked for 33

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Some cars already have limiters. All speedos are optimistic. You won't get nicked for 33
          Go to pepipoo and tell people that.
          Some scamera partnerships are nothing but spiteful.

Comment

I knew someone that was nicked for doing 34 mph. Any references for 'all speedos are optimistic'?

Comment

I knew someone that was nicked for doing 34 mph. Any references for 'all speedos are optimistic'?
              yes, that was the camera saying 34.
              the speedo probably said 38

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Only a lifetime reading What Car,Autocar,Car etc road tests (never read one where indicated wasn't > actual) and personal comparison of gps speeds and speedos.

Comment

No, but another way of looking at the logic of that:
                  1. speedo must read to 10% accuracy at 30 mph.
                  2. regardless of #1, you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit.

Result: manufacturers aim for a bit of "optimism", so that their permitted error is bound to be on the safe side.

Comment

Only a lifetime reading What Car,Autocar,Car etc road tests (never read one where indicated wasn't > actual) and personal comparison of gps speeds and speedos.
                    Looks like you're right, speedometer regulations specify that they must err on the safe (overestimating speed) side:

As with the UNECE regulation and the EC Directives, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      No, but another way of looking at the logic of that:
                      1. speedo must read to 10% accuracy at 30 mph.
                      2. regardless of #1, you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit.

Result: manufacturers aim for a bit of "optimism", so that their permitted error is bound to be on the safe side.
                      Indeed and since 3mph is 10% you won't get nicked for 33

Comment

Working...
                      X