• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's how "fair" speed cameras are

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem here is that you confuse 'Law' as in law of the land with 'Law' as in a law of physics.

One law is about regulation of imagined human inter-relationships, and the other is about reality, whatever that is too.

Just because the words have the same spelling, and often are confused to mean the same thing, is just one of those amusing aspects of language.

That is how you can have a law saying something apparently stupid like pi is 3 and yet in a legal sense be perfectly reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
      The problem here is that you confuse 'Law' as in law of the land with 'Law' as in a law of physics.

One law is about regulation of imagined human inter-relationships, and the other is about reality, whatever that is too.

Just because the words have the same spelling, and often are confused to mean the same thing, is just one of those amusing aspects of language.

That is how you can have a law saying something apparently stupid like pi is 3 and yet in a legal sense be perfectly reasonable.
      Yeah, but what really gets my goat, policemen get away with parking on double yellow lines because the lines do not have a 'termination bar', or some other legal loophole, but the cash cow British motorist cant object if the speed cameras are stuck in the ground upside fkin down.

grrr

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Yeah, but what really gets my goat, policemen get away with parking on double yellow lines because the lines do not have a 'termination bar', or some other legal loophole, but the cash cow British motorist cant object if the speed cameras are stuck in the ground upside fkin down.

grrr

One should realise that humans are nothing but semi-evolved simians and so, as can been seen in any group of monkeys you have alpha males and alpha females, their nearest offspring, and the rest.

You are the rest. Don't fight it, that way leads to pain and suffering, just as it does in a baboon troup.

Comment

We could do with 30 mph speed limiters on cars for town, since no matter how careful your are, you're bound to exceed the limit by a few mph occasionally, unless you drive at say 25 mph and risk being a nuisance. I recently passed a detector van and looked at my speedo and it was, fortunately, on precisely 30 mph. I hope my speedo is accurate, but I say lucky because it was on a downward stretch of open road and one could easily let it creep up to 33 mph or so before realising it, especially when you have tail-gaiters.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            We could do with 30 mph speed limiters on cars for town, since no matter how careful your are, you're bound to exceed the limit by a few mph occasionally, unless you drive at say 25 mph and risk being a nuisance. I recently passed a detector van and looked at my speedo and it was, fortunately, on precisely 30 mph. I hope my speedo is accurate, but I say lucky because it was on a downward stretch of open road and one could easily let it creep up to 33 mph or so before realising it, especially when you have tail-gaiters.
            Totally missing the point here TW. The speed is not the major factor, its the safe speed for the conditions that matters. That might be 5mph if there are kids running across the road kicking a ball.
            What annoys me is that they take the judgement out of the equation.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
              One should realise that humans are nothing but semi-evolved simians and so, as can been seen in any group of monkeys you have alpha males and alpha females, their nearest offspring, and the rest.

You are the rest. Don't fight it, that way leads to pain and suffering, just as it does in a baboon troup.
              You are missing the point. Baboon society is based around, sex, violence and personal gratification.
              Until they discover beer , I will never consider myself to be on equal footing with a baboon.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Totally missing the point here TW. The speed is not the major factor, its the safe speed for the conditions that matters. That might be 5mph if there are kids running across the road kicking a ball.

They have to. Not many humans are capable of making the judgement. 80% of humans suffer some kind of cognitive impairment.

Comment

In those situations a sensible driver will not only not be doing 30 mph, but closer to 20. I'm describing open roads on a downward grade, perhaps also with tail-gaiters. One's speed can easily creep up a few mph in those situations. A speed limiter would help only for inadvertant slips when a bit of speed creep occurs, and not be a target speed.

Comment

You are missing the point. Baboon society is based around, sex, violence and personal gratification.
                    Until they discover beer , I will never consider myself to be on equal footing with a baboon.

You've never seen a troupe of baboons that have gorged on fermenting fruit? The Big Market in Newcastle doesn't then appear so distant to the plains of the serengheti.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      In those situations a sensible driver will not only not be doing 30 mph, but closer to 20. I'm describing open roads on a downward grade, perhaps also with tail-gaiters. One's speed can easily creep up a few mph in those situations. A speed limiter would help only for inadvertant slips when a bit of speed creep occurs, and not be a target speed.
                      Exactly so. A sensible driver adjust speed for the conditions. On occasion, that might be 50 in a thirty zone

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X