• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I do know what SIPP stands for, thank you. I was contrasting it with a "Pension Fund" administered by pension fund managers, which type of pension fund has in recent years shown poor returns, not to say losses.

I was replying to DimPrawn's
    The point at issue is the difference between a classic pension fund, and a self-invested personal pension.

Sorry I had to spell it out in such detail.

Expat, you stated clearly that a SIPP is 'not a pension fund', but it quite clearly is, so your comment was misleading. It is a PRIVATE pension fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      I'm with the Pensions are a waste of time brigade. They are just a gamble on your increasing likelihood to snuff it
      Also, you build up a pot, convert to annuity, die and money is lost to the pinstripes in the City forever.

You save (avoiding tax where possible) into high interest, invest in buying land, property and other rent yielding assets, buy commodities and sell to make profit, buy high dividend yielding stock and all these can be left in your will to your family (subject to IHT). This way the bulk of the wealth stays in the family.

Comment

Yes, whay invest in something you might never see, or will probably not see much of!
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          Expat, you stated clearly that a SIPP is 'not a pension fund', but it quite clearly is, so your comment was misleading. It is a PRIVATE pension fund.
          In the meaning of the phrase in the post to which I was replying, it is different.

What do you not understand?

End of conversation. Have never blocked anyone, yet.

Comment

Pensions were a good investment until Gordon raided them for 170 Billion pounds. Who knows what other taxes he may hit them with in the future. Avoid them like the plague!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Pensions were a good investment until Gordon raided them for 170 Billion pounds. Who knows what other taxes he may hit them with in the future. Avoid them like the plague!!!!
              WHS.

They made sense 20 yrs ago. Now the likelyhood is they will be raided to fund the state by Labour in the name of "fairness" ie.

"How can it be fair that greedy people have £1M in a private pension fund, when there are Afghan asylum seekers here living on £500 a week benefits? Today we announce measures to move private pension funds into state control...."

Not safe at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Also, you build up a pot, convert to annuity, die and money is lost to the pinstripes in the City forever.
                Not necessarily with a SIPP. I have a pretty good idea on how I can get most of my pension back out between 55-75 without paying too much tax.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  WHS.
                  Please do not feed the animals. They live on a special diet
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Not necessarily with a SIPP. I have a pretty good idea on how I can get most of my pension back out between 55-75 without paying too much tax.
                    So do I, and since I am between 55-75 I am not hanging around for tax changes on the 25% tax-free lump sum, interestingly now called the pension commencement lump sum (did you see what they did there?).

My requirement is minimal charges on vesting, and I'm still looking, but if need be I can stand H-L's 75.00 each time if I do it once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                      I used to think like you. Then got the suprise of the pension raid and IR35. It makes life that bit more uncertain

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X