• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PHP perhaps the ugliest language ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themistry View Post
    That is because you are crap
    Oh yeah! Well in my defence I would like to say... Erm... erm. No you've probably hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Reading NF's post it seems to me:

1. He knows his stuff thoroughly
      2. He also has a keen business head on him.

The rest of you fantasists (DP) and ne-er-do-wells (Tay) just spout constant crap.
      WHS

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      FFS, you're such a tit Tay. I've met NickFitz, and he's not boring at all.

Yes, we all like banter and one-liners, but this is supposed to be an IT contractor's group and Nick's post was bang on topic and very useful.

I knew Jscript.Net or whatever it is called (the language no one uses) was an embarrassment to Microsoft. But I didn't think they were keen to ditch VB.Net too. So thanks for your valuable insights Nick.

I expect Microsoft is keen for people to ditch *all* of their current languages and frameworks in due course, to keep making way for new ones such as Silverlight, whatever that is (I keep seeing pop ups advertising it.) After all, constant churn is where the profit is.
      And him.

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Except this is the "go completely off topic ASAP" forum..not the "discuss techy stuff to hearts delight" forum.
      It's meant to be "General issues affecting and of interest to contractors." which means that the OP is an idiot if they can't determine which forum comments relating to a programming language should be made.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Yes, we all like banter and one-liners, but this is supposed to be an IT contractor's group and Nick's post was bang on topic and very useful.

I knew Jscript.Net or whatever it is called (the language no one uses) was an embarrassment to Microsoft. But I didn't think they were keen to ditch VB.Net too. So thanks for your valuable insights Nick.

I expect Microsoft is keen for people to ditch *all* of their current languages and frameworks in due course, to keep making way for new ones such as Silverlight, whatever that is (I keep seeing pop ups advertising it.) After all, constant churn is where the profit is.
        Crikey - can't believe I have ventured into this thread but....

WHS -

Nick is a grand fella - funny and charming and very sweet.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

CLP on the AS/400 was often incomprehensible.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Reading NF's post it seems to me:

1. He knows his stuff thoroughly
            2. He also has a keen business head on him.

The rest of you fantasists (DP) and ne-er-do-wells (Tay) just spout constant crap.
            ne-er-do-well? yeah thats me and I take this place way to seriously..... give yourself an uppercut Sadguru and have a good think about what forum you are posting on.

I can but assume that is becaise you are a boring person as well, as for Faqqer, we all know he is boring and self important.. and CM... well she dates Milton so clearly not a good judge of character

But you guys keep telling yourself that NF and is long winded programming speels are fascinating.

It is not what he says... it is the pompous long winded way he goes about it. And he has bad body odour.....

Comment

There's more to life than PHP or MS .Net - check out Java with Apache Widgets.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                VB(+/-.NET) is one of the most syntactically poor languages to still have any traction in the marketplace.
                Can you give an example, along with the equivalent C#, so I can understand your point?

Coming from a VB background rather than C, I find VB easier to read, more like English. Though I know it appears to be a dying language, going by the number of contracts asking for C# far outweighing those asking for VB.Net.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                For any new application VB Classic (is that what they call it now?) is the wrong solution; and although Microsoft won't tell you this, for a .NET solution, VB.NET is also the wrong solution. VB.NET is (within Microsoft) very much regarded as the rod they made for their own backs. As soon as they can ditch it without losing face, they will.

I don't see why VB.Net is wrong, now it's pretty much an interchangable (with C#) interface to the CLR. For the same reason I can't see why M$ would want to ditch it unless they want to reduce maintenance overhead. J# was DOA, so why put all their eggs in one C# basket? Unless they want to free up their developers to concentrate on silverlight and it's inevitable 'blend' into .net.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

VB .NET is not bad, it's just ugly. It ticks all the OO boxes and does indeed have a 99% functional overlap withC# - but to me, it just speaks like a voice from the past. A bit like an old variety act that's been forced to reinvent itself for the new generation. It's the Tom Baker of programming languages.

Don't you just want to cry every time you see the reluctant defeatism of "End Try"?

Comment

Yeah that's right C# hasn't inherited itself at all.

I prefer "End Try" to "}" any day. Maybe that would be different if I knew Chinese or Japanese.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                      .. I can but assume that is becaise you are a boring person as well, ..
                      Guffaw - I knew you'd say that
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X