• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone paraphrase the need for the EU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Eh?

Did I miss another world war?
    No, but I guess you missed a european one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
      It's probably because I never did my homework that I'm semi-ignorant now.
      you are definately not semi-ignorant.

Its a bit like Tescos, just think of all that buying power, giving us cheap beans and stuff.
      Well the EU can mercilessly stiff the little countries so we can have even cheaper beans and stuff.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It works on all levels. Politicians want to rule over a single, giant European state, businesses want to do away with cross-border trade restrictions, organised criminals are kept off the dole by fiddling agricultural subsidies, and the plebs want to visit any shop from Helsinki to Lisbon and spend the same notes and coins.

Oh, and the Spanish can fish our stocks out of existence.

It's a fab idea, everyone's a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          The simple fact that lots of eastern European totty has flooded into the UK is good enough for me
          That sells it for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
            No, but I guess you missed a european one or two.
            Among EU member states?

Comment

and Milan doesnt have to trade in his British sheep for Euro sheep everytime he crosses a border
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I am biased against after living in France for a while
                just want to know what it's for and why we want to be in it.
                havent you just answered your own question?
                The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I'm no expert on most things economical and political but I'm trying to pay more attention these days and absorb a bit more knowledge.

However one area I still know very little about (one of many areas) is why we need the EU.

So as a few on here say "pah, we'd be nothing without Europe", can you explain why? What are the benefits and what is the drive for a blanket constitution and uniform legislation?

I am biased against after living in France for a while but am mostly open minded.

For example, if we are in to "give something back" to the poorer states then so be it, just want to know what it's for and why we want to be in it.
                  In sum: There are a lot of power-hungry politicians for whom starting a war between their home country and a trumped-up Axis of Terror is simply not spectacular enough to generate well-paying post-premiership book sales and lecturing gigs. Some politicians also quite fancy raking-in a few extra quid for doing very little far away and generally unnoticed by their own voters.

Comment

And wherever the Daleks land in Europe, you'll all have the same leader to take me to. That will save time.

Comment

Originally posted by derekthedalek View Post
                      And wherever the Daleks land in Europe, you'll all have the same leader to take me to. That will save time.
                      As a fellow Dalek, may I suggest that you try blending-in a bit more? Our invasion plans are supposed to be secret, remember? Best advice is to poke fun at Bagpuss - it's a common Earthling hobby, like gardening.

Comment

Working...
                      X