• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Integrating with permies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    On the outside I'm their best friend happy to do the dirty work and help out with whatever is required, on the inside I'm a ruthless mercenary invoice machine.
    I like it

Howver, there are people I still keep in touch with.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I integrate. But I make a point of taking luncheon alone.

Comment

My predecessor lost his contract for integrating with a permie in the toilets
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Pre IR35 I had no problem integrating with permies at places I worked. Now I try and remain (aloof?) a discreet separation from them.

If you're too 'separate' you'll find yourself binned off for not being 'part of the team \ organisation.'
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            If you're too 'separate' you'll find yourself binned off for not being 'part of the team \ organisation.'
            Like the contractor I was working alongside this summer. He's gone.

Comment

Integrate on a professional level, but be wary down the pub. Only stay for one, and buy a round if it's your turn. When you know the lie of the land you can relax a bit, but you always have to keep your guard up.

Avoid discussing contracting, and never discuss rates, ever.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                My predecessor lost his contract for integrating with a permie in the toilets

Comment

At my present gig , all the permies feel so sorry for me, they think am so much worse off than them, they think they are so much better than me having a permie job and I am having a contract job. Several times I have the permies come to me and say ‘I do hope you get offered a permie role soon’ I have a horror look on my face whenever they say that .
                  The programme manager constantly reassures me, and says loudly in front of everyone in the team ’Although Sandy is a contractor, I think she is just as part of the team as anyone else here’

They honestly believe its such a privilege to be a permie

Comment

Well on my last gig they were insistent that I have a line manager (who was another contractor ), adhered to holiday rotas/quotas, shift rotas of their choosing, even refer to them as 'boss' etc..

Ultimately it got to the point where after arguing the toss over what was right and wrong with my 'contractor line manager', I turned down my last extension after 2yrs with them as it was causing so many problems in terms of our ability to get on within the team. Basically he would try and dictate to me permie type rules, and I would tell him he was not entitled to do so, and that he should also respect his position as a contractor and that the client (large blue chip) clearly had no concept or clue of how the situation should work or be setup.

This is clearly one of the problems doing longer term gigs, it gets to the point where they expect you to be 'integrated'. It was a simple choice, either put up or shut up, but I'd quite simply had enough so said thanks but no thanks.
                    Last edited by chris79; 9 November 2008, 18:39.
                    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                    X