• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To Obama, from Russia with Love

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicky G View Post
    The Russians are preparing for the destruction of the United States. Perestroika was a deception to disarm the West and take away Western unity in the face of a common enemy. They are not concerned by this pathetic defence system. Moving missiles into Kaliningrad is a precursor to war and they’re doing it under the pretence of being the victim, notably announcing such an important move when the eyes of the world are elsewhere (typically devious Mongol Communists).

Unfortunately, brain dead Little Timmy's everywhere believe the Russian lies and agitprop. To them a nation of hockey mums and narcissists is the greatest threat to world peace (Amweican empewialesm / prior knowledge / unlimited wars / goo goo).

Jings !!!

Help ma Boab !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If Russia joined Nato, problem would be solved.
      The generals don't want to because this would mean they will lose big enemy and thus huge financing. USSR was more or less build around the external threat which justified 80% of GDP spent on armaments one way or another - civil production like radios were made as last effort on military plants making radios for the forces etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        The agreements under Regan and Gorbachev in the Glasnost and Perestroika years was that the Berlin wall will be allowed to fall, the Russian bases would be dismantled and their troupes withdrawn to the Russian border.
        USSR lost the war - it should have been grateful it was all peaceful and troops returned home with weapons and no bombs were dropped. Heck, the leaders of USSR should have been extatic at the fact they did not go to Nurnberg to answer for their crimes against humanity - Soviet regime killed more people than nazi germany and they got away with it!

Frankly, given how Russia was supporting Iran and other backwards states to encourage them opposing the West, I think such behavior was totally wrong and anti-missile defence is appearing now directly as the result of Russian support to Iran and others to help them make missiles and now effectively nuclear weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          USSR lost the war - it should have been grateful it was all peaceful and troops returned home with weapons and no bombs were dropped. Heck, the leaders of USSR should have been extatic at the fact they did not go to Nurnberg to answer for their crimes against humanity - Soviet regime killed more people than nazi germany and they got away with it!

Frankly, given how Russia was supporting Iran and other backwards states to encourage them opposing the West, I think such behavior was totally wrong and anti-missile defence is appearing now directly as the result of Russian support to Iran and others to help them make missiles and now effectively nuclear weapons.

AtW this is probably the one topic that you have any real knowledge of
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

AtW this is probably the one topic that you have any real knowledge of
            Here is one interesting statistic - Russian army right now has got 1100 generals (!), roughly there are maybe 700 soldiers per general, can you fking believe that! I think in USA number of generals is around 100 max.

Comment

Here is one interesting statistic - Russian army right now has got 1100 generals (!), roughly there are maybe 700 soldiers per general, can you fking believe that! I think in USA number of generals is around 100 max.
              Russian units are not the same as western ones, they operate a different structure, ranks are not equivilent

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So what is the aim, the end game? I assume it is to exhibit that Russia does not agree to further eastward NATO expansion?

One kind of related question that has bugged me - why did the Soviet Union give all that lovely resource rich territory away in the first place, especially Kazakstan? I mean it's the size of Western Europe! Was Yeltsin just a "happy drunk" !?
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Russian units are not the same as western ones, they operate a different structure, ranks are not equivilent
                  Generals are not supposed to command platoons or battalions - there are lots of colonels, majors, captains - so if generals have got 700 men under their command on average it means pretty high levels officers like captain would have 50-100. There are over 150000 officers in Russian military right now with maybe 800000 soldiers at best. Situation is so bad that even they decided to cut down on officer stuff, and reduce generals count from 1100 to ... 900

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    So what is the aim, the end game? I assume it is to exhibit that Russia does not agree to further eastward NATO expansion?

One kind of related question that has bugged me - why did the Soviet Union give all that lovely resource rich territory away in the first place, especially Kazakstan? I mean it's the size of Western Europe! Was Yeltsin just a "happy drunk" !?
                    possibly setting up a bargaining chip, the timing due to a change at the top in the USA

Why did they give up their empire ? I dont know for sure, but isn't that what we did over the last 100 years or so ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Generals are not supposed to command platoons or battalions - there are lots of colonels, majors, captains - so if generals have got 700 men under their command on average it means pretty high levels officers like captain would have 50-100. There are over 150000 officers in Russian military right now with maybe 800000 soldiers at best. Situation is so bad that even they decided to cut down on officer stuff, and reduce generals count from 1100 to ... 900
                      well I am not sure if what you say about a general commanding a btn is true or not. What I do know is that there are extra levels of general in the Russian army, and their units are typically much smaller than in the west. Their staff officers are also generals, whereas in the west they can be any old rank.
                      If all British staff officers were made into generals I am sure I would be laughing along with you

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X