• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions for Chef and anyone else who's done an extended Far East trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I love talking about the good stuff in life, not just about sitting on a bench and how much tax we pay.

The way I did it 3 years ago was got a single to Australia via KL. Booked a reasonable hotel the first 2 nights as it can be a bit unsettling as the countries are completely different to what you are used to, and you have an unreasonable fear that everything you eat will poison you. After 2 days you realise you are not going to have any trouble, you can eat anything anywhere (not true in India) and you are really going to enjoy whatever you do.

I feel that while its great to see these places, what really makes or breaks your trip is the people you are with. When on your own if you are not in a position to meet fellow travellers, ie if you are in an expensive hotel or a private room, things can get a bit lonely. You will have much more fun seeing these wonderful places in the company of a few good like-minded people. So after your first 2 days get talking to people find out what/where they are going and chill and have some fun with them. Everyone wants to do roughly the same things. You tend not to stay in touch with people anyway but meet new people in each place you go. WHen I was on my own I always tried to do something like Diving or trekking on the first day to get to meet people for the rest of yout time in one spot.

WHen I was with my girlfriedn the conversation over dinner can get a bit stretched as you've got nothing to tell each other as you did it all together over several months, so meeting new people then was a welcome respite from the usual dull chatter! (She'll kill me if she reads this)

Comment

PS Don't miss out on Laos - the gem of SE Asia. ANd if you like diving you have to go to Sipidan in Borneo - wipes the floor with anywhere else I dived. Every dive I saw at least 30 sharks and 30 tutrtles. Giant Eagle Rays, Hammer head sharks, schools of Barracude and Batfish - amazing!!

I would almost say after that trip and some other things I've done like sailing trips and snowboard seasons, if I was to die tomorrow, I would not be unhappy.

Is that too morbid!

Comment

Working...
      X