• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quarry blast video - what do you think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool... but

What would make it better is a sense of perspective even if you need to pan back slightly to get something else into the frame. Replays can always be edited to show closer detail of the explosion.

I am sure a tree or digger would be tiny in comparism, and the wow factor would ramp up.

Even if you need to pan around beforehand, just to get the sense of scale.
    Last edited by tay; 4 November 2008, 19:48.

Comment

I've just moved to Mountsorrel. Nice to see exactly what the blast looks like - the noise/vibrations are sometimes momentarily frightening and I live at the other end of the village (near the McCanns).
      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

In fitting with the infamous derring dos of the 5th November 1605, I suggest an effigy (or actual, if you can coax him out of his Saudi lair) of Gordon Brown placed in the epicentre of the explosives.

You may not get a great deal of appreciation of scale of the explosion, but you can guarantee your video and the heartfelt sentiments of UK taxpayer’s gratitude will go viral…
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Boomed.

Nice footage.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
            .. The blast that I filmed was the equivalent of 30,000 WWII bombs going off in one location (blast was contained with granite)

Cant wait to see the 8,000 Tonne explosion tomorrow - will post video. ..
            Did you say the explosion you saw used 6 tons of explosive? The heaviest bomb in WW2 was Grand Slam, a Barnes Wallis special, which weighed about 10 tons of which 4 tons was explosive. It was used against U boat pens and viaducts

If the one tomorrow uses 8000 tons, won't the granite be blown sky high in a cloud of powder?
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 November 2008, 23:09.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why can't you put it on youtube you heathen?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Did you say the explosion you saw used 6 tons of explosive? The heaviest bomb in WW2 was Grand Slam, a Barnes Wallis special, which weighed about 10 tons of which 4 tons was explosive. It was used against U boat pens and viaducts

If the one tomorrow uses 8000 tons, won't the granite be blown sky high in a cloud of powder?
                I assume that the 8000 tons was a miss-spelling. More likely 8 tonnes.

But, it's not for me to correct wxman. Kudos man!
                Last edited by Churchill; 5 November 2008, 00:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I assume that the 8000 tons was a miss-spelling. More likely 8 tonnes.

But, it's not for me to correct wxman. Kudos man!
                  Yes, he corrected.

8000 tons - that would be quite a bang

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

LOL that is def only 8 metric Tonnes of liquid explosive poured into about 40 tubes, 20 meters deep. Each tube is then fired 8ms apart to reduce the shock wave and to reduce the air shock wave. That’s is why you see the bright flashes creep across the rock face prior to the rock face exploding.

As an aside I *thought* that a typical WWII air release bomb was 500Lbs – I might be wrong however.

Aslo qDos - my must live quite close to each other? I am on Grange Lane, off Walton way
                    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Damm - I have had to call off todays filming due to low light (mist and rain)

I will try again tomorrow
                      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                      X