• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed! Britain was the LARGEST arms exporter last year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    UK would not have received that contract without bribes.

I don't think UK has got any good weapons made for export anyway, Eurofighter is lost cause.
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why is that? Did YOU work on the Eurofighter?
    Don't forget, he's the world authority on everything, he must be right
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

Well he has got the Majestic 12 behind him.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

UK would not have received that contract without bribes.

I don't think UK has got any good weapons made for export anyway, Eurofighter is lost cause.
        Hey - it's keeping my other half in work
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Well he has got the Majestic 12 behind him.
          The group that dealt with the grey aliens was actually called Majority 12. This group was set up after the Roswell incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky G View Post
            The group that dealt with the grey aliens was actually called Majority 12. This group was set up after the Roswell incident.
            If Nicky G told me the sun would rise in the morning I would double check.....

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              WEll he knows more about coding than he does about economics!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Why is that? Did YOU work on the Eurofighter?
                Maybe you'd also think that SA-80 is a brilliant light firearm too?

If Eurofighter was that good UK would not need to give bribes to in order to sell it.

A much smarter move would have been to use M16s or german rifles, use US made airplanes (maybe contribute your bit to them, share costs etc), and focus instead on perspective weapons like lasers, kinetic interceptors etc.

Comment

Maybe you'd also think that SA-80 is a brilliant light firearm too?

If Eurofighter was that good UK would not need to give bribes to in order to sell it.

A much smarter move would have been to use M16s or german rifles, use US made airplanes (maybe contribute your bit to them, share costs etc), and focus instead on perspective weapons like lasers, kinetic interceptors etc.
                  The SA80 had a lot of initial problems which I understand got ironed out and it's a highly regarded firearm these days.

You do realise that the allegations of bribery (unproven) relate to the Al Yamama contract which was for Tornado aircraft (which are rapidly leaving service) and ongoing support and not related in any way to the Typhoon (Eurofighter).

The Eurofighter was a cooperative project between UK, Germany, Spain and Italy.

Incidentally the Eurofighter is far from inferior and has a few more customers than just a certain Middle Eastern country. The R&D and technology associated with the Typhoon has had some rather valuable spin offs including why the Americans came to the British for certain elements of the F35 Lightning 2 and the Swedes for the Grippen. The only relatively recent US developed and built fighter aircraft is the F22 Raptor and that's so viciously expensive to build that the US is only buying a limited number and due to certain US regulations the aircraft isn't for sale to non US customers anyway.
                  Last edited by TykeMerc; 28 October 2008, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    The SA80 had a lot of initial problems which I understand got ironed out and it's a highly regarded firearm these days.
                    What do the SAS guys use, SA80 or something better than that? I am not a big fan of AK (poor accuracy), but frankly UK did not have very good firearms made here for a long time - take Bren gun, how does that compare with MG-42 or MG-34? Why UK armed police uses MP5s, glocks etc?

I think the reason UK was winning a lot of fights was not because of superior weapons, but quality of people who could win using what they had, but nowadays when it comes to airfights technology might be the determining factor.

You do realise that the allegations of bribery (unproven) relate to the Al Yamama contract which was for Tornado aircraft (which are rapidly leaving service) and ongoing support and not related in any way to the Typhoon (Eurofighter).
                    Well, we are not in court here, for me personally it is pretty clear that serious bribery was involved. I take a view that a very good product that practically sells itself would require a bribe, this can sure happen but it seems to me the main reason for win here was bribe rather than technology.

The R&D and technology associated with the Typhoon has had some rather valuable spin offs including why the Americans came to the British for certain elements of the F35 Lightning 2 and the Swedes for the Grippen.
                    Sure, and that's what UK and other EU countries should have been doing - working more closely with USA on F22/35 project, though USA does not really want to share details of sensitive technology used there.

EU I think had a chance in 90s to deal with Russia and get all tech for MiGs and SUs, that would be dirt cheap and avionics and other stuff could have been greatly improved here. That would be smarter than developing Eurofighter in my view.

ATW in "in USSR teenagers were taught to disassemble and assemble AK assault rifles in secondary school" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      One of the largest exporters to Iraq too, that's how we knew they had WMD, we checked the receipts
                      You are Bill Hicks aicm5p.

Comment

Working...
                      X