• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A big rate cut at last !!?? I hope........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Have you read my earlier info regarding mortgage 'collars' ? Not all banks will reduce rates below about 3.5%.
    3.5% will do me fine thanks. I brought my first house in 1982 ( ex-husband got that one - well his girlfriend did in the end - long story...) Interest rates were 15% then and had just come down too.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Possibly, but we could have left interest rates alone and ensured, through meaningful regulation, that the banks ceased using high-risk business models that were, in effect, highly irresponsible lending IMHO. We were left in a position where there was little or no risk to the top bankers that were rubber-stamping such practises as they were minted anyway as a result of their bonus scheme. It is the rest of us that are left picking up the pieces. HMG could and should have seen this disaster building and acted to shield us from the worst effects by giving the financial regulators some teeth. This they singularly failed to do, and for that they must be held accountable, and will be come the next Election.
      Blaming ‘the bank’ for the problem is like saying a lion that escapes from the zoo is guilty of murder if it kills someone. In this analogy one could blame the keepers for being negligent and allowing the escape (i.e. blame regulators / BoE, Federal Reserve, etc). However, I would bring in for questioning the Zoo owner (nuLieBore regime/Clinton, Bush administrations) who deliberately let the lion escape (not specifically with an intention that it kills) to bring in more visitors as a result of the publicity.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
        3.5% will do me fine thanks. I brought my first house in 1982 ( ex-husband got that one - well his girlfriend did in the end - long story...) Interest rates were 15% then and had just come down too.
        bought

Are you from the South Coast? Portsmouth, Selsey?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          bought

Are you from the South Coast? Portsmouth, Selsey?
          No! - I leave near Middle Earth.

As a matter if interest – just watched ‘Loose Women’ on the telly ( sad, I know) and they have just done a spot on poor spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
            No! - I leave near Middle Earth.

As a matter if interest – just watched ‘Loose Women’ on the telly ( sad, I know) and they have just done a spot on poor spelling.

I wish you'd stick that syringe up Peoplesoft Blokes hypocritical ars e !!

Comment

Cybertory I'm still waiting for an answer on how lowering interest rates 2003-2007 would have curbed consumer debt and debt fuelled inflation and prevented the credit cruch
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

You grab him and I'll stick in in

Comment

You're pretty free with the insults today CyberTory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Cybertory I'm still waiting for an answer on how lowering interest rates 2003-2007 would have curbed consumer debt and debt fuelled inflation and prevented the credit cruch

I never said lower rates were a good thing in that period. It was a boom period due to lower rates and unfettered lending. A complete disaster instigated by brown and Co.

Comment

I never said lower rates were a good thing in that period.
                      I'm not so sure, hmmm. However, You've posted so much codswallop on NR it would be like searching for a needle in a haystack
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X