• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps - I dont think the HR questions are there to trip you up, or for them to show you who's boss - I thnk they're there to try and get a feel for your personality. See if you're a nice person, and if you'll fit in with the team etc. Some of you lot are very paranoid and angry towards the permie world. It's not *that* bad!
    Having done in excess of 3000 interviews I have seen how that sort of question has completely put an interviewee off their stride and meant that they have struggled with the rest of the interview as the dwelt on that question.

I have then seen the result of hiring the complete tulippers who have a smart alec answer for these sorts of questions - the continue to completely tulip once they have been given a job.

Remember if you are looking for a permie member of staff and someone seems to have a very good interview technique they have probably learned it by doing lots of interviews. Maybe you wanna wonder why this is!

Admittedly if you are looking for a wide boy salesman this may be a perfectly legitimate tactic - but when you are looking for a coder, accountant or other profession which relies on attention to details and an ability to give the correct answers not some made up bulltulip it may not be the best option.

Comment

HR people have to do something. If all they want to do is ask inane questions then there's no harm in that.

It's interesting because when you have too many people on board a project, some folk inevitably like to stick their oar in and 'do' something even though it would be better if they actually sat back and did nothing. I'm thinking of some projects where, for example, there have been too many business analysts or project managers who have only managed to cock things up and have been no help whatsoever.

Developers usually have no problem doing nothing, and testers never really do much anyway. It's the busy body manager-types who cause all the problems.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

"If you were a biscuit what would you be" and "if you were an animal what would you be" are two that I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Having done in excess of 3000 interviews I have seen how that sort of question has completely put an interviewee off their stride and meant that they have struggled with the rest of the interview as the dwelt on that question.

I have then seen the result of hiring the complete tulippers who have a smart alec answer for these sorts of questions - the continue to completely tulip once they have been given a job.

Remember if you are looking for a permie member of staff and someone seems to have a very good interview technique they have probably learned it by doing lots of interviews. Maybe you wanna wonder why this is!

Admittedly if you are looking for a wide boy salesman this may be a perfectly legitimate tactic - but when you are looking for a coder, accountant or other profession which relies on attention to details and an ability to give the correct answers not some made up bulltulip it may not be the best option.
          So, er, it's not possible to do well at interview, without being tulip on the job; and it's a sure sign of being tulip if you do badly at interview. That clears things up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
            "If you were a biscuit what would you be" and "if you were an animal what would you be" are two that I've heard.
            the answer to the first one should be " The one that chokes you to your death" and the answer to the second one should be "the pit bull terrier that scarres your child for life"

numpties
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Developers usually have no problem doing nothing, and testers never really do much anyway. It's the busy body manager-types who cause all the problems.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  the answer to the first one should be " The one that chokes you to your death" and the answer to the second one should be "the pit bull terrier that scarres your child for life"

numpties
                  scars / scares

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"If you were a biscuit what would you be"
                    Crackers?

Nice?
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

"if you were an animal what would you be"
                      Donkey?

Sheep?

Lemming?
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X