• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jacqui Smith - biggest threat to liberty in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for a minute there i got confused because I thought Jaqui Smith was one of the original Charlies Angels, but it was 'Jaclyn Smith'. My bad.

Anyhoo, whats the big deal - you are already part of the Echelon programme, you know the one with the big golf balls at Menwith Hill http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/503224.stm

And have you seen the 'privacy' statement for Facebook (or My Space or even Google)? Replace 'Facebook' with 'Big Brother' in the small print and check out where your details are going...

THEY know everything about you already

*fade out with x-files theme*

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
      Anyhoo, whats the big deal - you are already part of the Echelon programme, you know the one with the big golf balls at Menwith Hill http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/503224.stm
      "It sounds like science fiction, but it's true."

Rather like the futuristic idea of TV cameras that can read car number plates and compute their average speed over a stretch of road.

If this is what they do to stop people driving at 60 past a couple of bollards, what will they have up their sleeve when they really want to spy on you?

Comment

A point to consider is when the data base goes wrong or the scanning software is poorly written.

In the early 90s I was working with some database software for doctors practice and I was horrified to discover that unless the database was re-indexed after a crash; the wrong prescription would be associated with the wrong patient.

Email scanners can get it wrong like the infamous innocent email to a council about an erection of a shed.

Websense is an example of a poorly written Internet filter, it programmes like that are used there will be many mistakes.

I had a court case once with a property dispute, a lot of my personal information was produced in court that could have only been obtained illegally through a bank clerk and the Inland Revenue. Hence I do not trust anyone least of all the government with any data or data collection.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          A point to consider is when the data base goes wrong or the scanning software is poorly written.

In the early 90s I was working with some database software for doctors practice and I was horrified to discover that unless the database was re-indexed after a crash; the wrong prescription would be associated with the wrong patient.

Email scanners can get it wrong like the infamous innocent email to a council about an erection of a shed.

Websense is an example of a poorly written Internet filter, it programmes like that are used there will be many mistakes.

I had a court case once with a property dispute, a lot of my personal information was produced in court that could have only been obtained illegally through a bank clerk and the Inland Revenue. Hence I do not trust anyone least of all the government with any data or data collection.
          It's already happening - a bloke had his car seized at the roadside for no insurance because of a cock up in the insurance database. He was insured to drive the car but didn't have all his papers available for inspection immediately.

All these "nothing to hide" wonks obviously haven't tried dealing with the useless cretins that inhabit most of the Court, government etc admin. who assume if you're claiming something is wrong, you must be the next Ian Huntley.

Comment

More info here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4951864.ece

I trust that using any form of encryption without a government issued licence will be an arrestable offence.

Labour for bringing order and harmony to our lives.
            Bored.

Comment

They'll be monitoring subversive internet forums next...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

In fact this slipped out over a week ago, and if you hadn't been on the lookout for them burying bad news in the reporting of the financial crisis you could be forgiven for missing it:

Government will spy on every call and e-mail

From The Sunday Times
                October 5, 2008
                Government will spy on every call and e-mail
                David Leppard

Ministers are considering spending up to £12 billion on a database to monitor and store the internet browsing habits, e-mail and telephone records of everyone in Britain.

GCHQ, the government’s eavesdropping centre, has already been given up to £1 billion to finance the first stage of the project.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

12 billion pounds? That’ll quickly end up being 100 billion plus judging by previous government projects.

Now then; here’s a question of conscience considering the market right now; if you have the opportunity to work on this project at a good rate and there isn’t another contract immediately available, would you do it?

I’m a tester, as you might have guessed by my name. I’m vehemently opposed to this kind of system, for both principled and technical reasons (too many to list).

A tester who works on the project would have to live with his conscience, but it would also provide an opportunity to find the bugs which could make people’s lives seriously tulip. On the other hand, if a tester refuses he might face a long time out of a contract, but with a clear conscience.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                  X