• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter Awards for Excellence 2009

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Without wishing to have a pop, I would suggest that lavish award ceremonies like this are indicative that the industry as a whole is ripping somebody off.
    I know you have strong views on the value added side of things, but from my side agents are a cost to my business and rarely do they bring any value to me.
    I will remind you that when it comes to perceptions of "ripping people off" you contractors are up there with bankers, fraudsters and tax collectors (ask any IT permie).
    There is nothing wrong in agencies making profits-and profit is not the criteria on which these awards are to be dished out. Recruitment is not subsidised, protected or regulated and recruitment businesses stand or fall on how good/profiatble they are. Many contractors on the other hand enjoy huge pay with few responsibilities whilst getting away with being mediocre or of "merchantable quality". Contractors can "ride the tide" "take time off". Agencies on the other hand do not have such luxuries..it is achieve or die, and you will find that for every succesful agency there are 50 that have failed. There is no tolerance of mediocrity.

And whilst you may not think that agencies serve any purpose other than take money from your precious earnings (though I have never understood how someone can pay out money that is not their in the first place, and then say it is "them" that is paying), I challenge you to find a decent sales person let alone pay for one to keep you in work. Also finance people are not easy to find either.

It is thanks to agencies that you guys can do away with a great many overheads involved in running a business, assuming of course that you regard yourselves as businesses which is questionable anyway.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 15 October 2008, 11:01.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I will remind you that when it comes to perceptions of "ripping people off" you contractors are up there with bankers, fraudsters and tax collectors (ask any IT permie).
      There is nothing wrong in agencies making profits-and profit is not the criteria on which these awards are to be dished out. Recruitment is not subsidised, protected or regulated and recruitment businesses stand or fall on how good/profiatble they are. Many contractors on the other hand enjoy huge pay with few responsibilities whilst getting away with being mediocre or of "merchantable quality". Contractors can "ride the tide" "take time off". Agencies on the other hand do not have such luxuries..it is achieve or die, and you will find that for every succesful agency there are 50 that have failed. There is no tolerance of mediocrity.

And whilst you may not think that agencies serve any purpose other than take money from your precious earnings (though I have never understood how someone can pay out money that is not their in the first place, and then say it is "them" that is paying), I challenge you to find a decent sales person let alone pay for one to keep you in work. Also finance people are not easy to find either.

It is thanks to agencies that you guys can do away with a great many overheads involved in running a business, assuming of course that you regard yourselves as businesses which is questionable anyway.
      Straight back at ya, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
        Straight back at ya, baby!
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And whilst you may not think that agencies serve any purpose other than take money from your precious earnings (though I have never understood how someone can pay out money that is not their in the first place), I challenge you to find a decent sales person let alone pay for one to keep you in work. Also finance people are not easy to find either.

I said I know how you feel Dodgy, it is just that I do not see you in the same light. This is not personal Dodge, I am not suggesting that you are the same as every other agent.
          As I have said many times, the world could survive without agents. Clients would still need work doing and contractors would still do the work.
          The only reason you exist is due to a certain amount of laziness on our and our clients part and some serious scare mongering in the past on the agencies part.
          Of course you are skimming my money. If you were a decent business you would have a set charge for the product you pitch. What is more you work for the client but I end up paying you. Very often you cheat and lie to try to make me accept a lower rate so you can skim more.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

ask any IT permie

I don't regard myself as a business (that is a trap which I don't fall into, thank you). I regard myself as an independent knowledge-based professional. As such I have few overheads, and no need for an agent. Of course, end clients may tender via agencies, and in those cases I supply to them. My overheads are pretty much the same anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              I said I know how you feel Dodgy, it is just that I do not see you in the same light. This is not personal Dodge, I am not suggesting that you are the same as every other agent.
              As I have said many times, the world could survive without agents. Clients would still need work doing and contractors would still do the work.
              The only reason you exist is due to a certain amount of laziness on our and our clients part and some serious scare mongering in the past on the agencies part.
              Of course you are skimming my money. If you were a decent business you would have a set charge for the product you pitch. What is more you work for the client but I end up paying you. Very often you cheat and lie to try to make me accept a lower rate so you can skim more.
              If the market could do without agents then it would. I wont go in to what value we provide as I dont think that there is enough room on the CUK server . I will say that a lot of people make a lot of money out of other people's fear or lazinesss (sending email instead of delivering a letter by hand 500 miles away falls under this category) and you guys coin most of your money from fear stemming from a lack of understanding, whether it be Y2000 gravy trains or business continuity systems. There is a demand for our services whether you like it or not, and what that demand stems from matters not a jot.

It could also be argued that the world could survive a lot better without IT (which it has) but not without agents. Agents have been in existence for a lot longer than you guys whether in the form of pimping for prostitutes or doing deals on spears, swords and bows and arrows. The integrity of what you do is no greater than what we do.

As for the cheating and lying, I have enough examples of such antics from contractors stored in boxes that wouldnt fit into the Pentagon

Comment

Maybe get some hexagonal boxes?
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    pentagonal shirley?

Comment

My missus is now in recruitment, so got nothing against ya per se, and I have no issue with agents making a fair profit for getting me a role.

But, I'm sorry - that quoted paragraph is complete bollocks. You save companies money by doing the recruiting/vetting process for them. But you do absolutely zero for my overheads mate.
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X