• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harry Enfield and Northerners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Yes, but Perhaps that's why (together with The office) Sketch shows seem old hat now. Thinking about it ..That Mitchell and Webb look is a good example of how important good writing is. It's very much hit and miss, whereas Peep Show written by someone else is classic.

PS you do try to troll a bit. I agree with you to some extent and you are still trying to be a xxxx. I'm giving you my attention so no need really.

The Playboys was class, also the Superhero sketch with The Mighty Sword of Dobber
    I think you might be Ferret...

If not then closely aligned with him...

Anyone read 1984 by George Orwell, totalitarian bulletin board, free speech?

...Ho hum...
    Last edited by Charles Foster Kane; 13 October 2008, 21:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
      I think you might be Ferret...

If not then closely aligned with him...

Anyone read 1984 by H.G. Wells, totalitarian bulletin board, free speech?

...Ho hum...
      Abusive and paranoid. I like it. I am not Bagpuss. I don't do alternative IDs as I have a job that requires me to work occasionally. I have asked you to not be so aggressive towards other users, <churchill mode>wind your neck in</churchill mode> or find another forum to troll on.

I simply took issue with:

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane;
      The only person to agree with you so far is a woman, and we all know they have no sense of humour, unless you are a woman or maybe just have low testosterone?
      I don't have to publicly (or privately) defend myself so please drop it and take a hint if you want to carry on enjoying the banter on here.

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post

Anyone read 1984 by H.G. Wells, totalitarian bulletin board, free speech?
      There is no free speech - someone has to pay the hosting bills.
      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
        Abusive and paranoid. I like it. I am not Bagpuss. I don't do alternative IDs as I have a job that requires me to work occasionally. I have asked you to not be so aggressive towards other users, <churchill mode>wind your neck in</churchill mode> or find another forum to troll on.

I simply took issue with:

I don't have to publicly (or privately) defend myself so please drop it and take a hint if you want to carry on enjoying the banter on here.

There is no free speech - someone has to pay the hosting bills.
        How much do you want for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
          Funniest Enfield ever was the episode with The Playboys and Teaching English to Aliens.
          . in 1990

Nah, I think he peaked with "Loadsamoney" in the mid-late 80s. He even had me wanting an XR3i Turbo Nutter, or whatever it was he drove.

Vaguely remember his follow on character "Buggerallmoney" when the economy crashed soon afterwards. Maybe he should resurrect that one.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I find the History of Comedy a fascinating subject, because if you examine the populist shows of the day, they mostly follow the trends and fashions of the time.

I cannot really comment on anything pre-1970, though I am aware of urban comedies such as "The Likely Lads", the "Liverbirds", "Till Death Us Do Part".

I can imagine that one element of such shows which made them successful was their focus on the family unit, which had previously been torn apart by WW2. The home is typically a safe, family unit, and I believe this was important to rebuilding the national psyche.

"Dad's Army" must have been a considerable gamble, considering the post-war mood, and on paper, a comedy about aging Home Front Guards sounds in terrible bad taste. Yet what an astonishing success it was.

Throughout the 1970 era, I recall plenty of "The Two Ronnies", "Reggie Perrin", "Bless This House", "Butterflies", "Rising Damp".

Again, an era of "sit coms" or "sketch shows", with nothing truly offensive, and the comedy genteel and perhaps a bit risqué.

Then the 80s landed. With a bang.

It seemed that the 80s was determined to throw everything we had taken for granted about comedy and reinvent itself anew.

New lines were drawn. This was comedy with often a politcal edge. Whereas the Establishment in previous decades had often been portrayed as bumbling and ineffectual, the 80s comedy held no punches and gave the Establishment both barrels. "Not the Nine O' clock News", "Spitting Image", "One Foot In The Grave", "The New Statesman", "Blackadder".

I think this era marked a sea-change in the relationship between the general population and the comedy they were served. A new generation of writers, many with strong, political leanings, used comedy as a vehicle to shock as well as entertain. I'd go far as to say it was an age when comedy got "nasty". Little wonder that this rubbed off on to the people at home. I think it was an angry decade for many reasons.

This trend seemed to die in the 90's, with a return to more peacable comedy, albeit with a more "escapist" and "bizarre" feel, such as "Father Ted", "Red Dwarf", "Mr Bean", "The Brittas Empire", etc. Politcal satire seemed to ease off the nasty throttle, though it did make light relief of the world at the time, "Drop the Dead Donkey".

Again a return to the cosy home environment, albeit with a angsty edge, "Men Behaving Badly", "Game On", "Absolutely Fabulous".

I think this era also saw a comeback of the "sketchshow" with the likes of "A bit of Fry and Laurie", "The Fast Show", "Rab C Nesbitt", etc.

Which brings us to the "00s", and the continuation of the sketch shows such as "Little Britain", and the various clones thereof. Or the continuation of shows, usually American imports, such as "Friends" or "Frasier".

Politcal satire seems particularly thin on the ground, and certainly not of the "in your face nasty" variety seen in the 80s. Comedy seems to focus on the quick sketch with the same old characters every week with the same old punchlines but in a different setting.

Is this inventive or an insult to our intelligence ?

Are the general population so lazy, unimaginative, uneducated or all three that they just want to be served "fast food comedy" that they can easily digest without having to think too hard, or think at all ?

What do you think ?
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X