• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what used car will give me most mpg?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Have a look at autotrader.co.uk
    Fiat Diesel up to 7 years old. Checkout the technical data.
    Eg: Fiat Bravo JTD 65.5 MPG extra urban will give you at least 70mpg at 70mph.
    thanks

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      hi,
      can anyone recommend a small used car(astra/golf size) in the the £1500 - £2500 price range that will give me good miles per gallon?

the 120 miles per day mileage is pilling up on my X5 let alone the depreciation and petrol cost

cheers

css_jay99
      Swapped mine for a 320D - over 60mpg on a journey, 48mpg in tulipty traffic and still 177 bhp.

Edit: oops didn't see your price bracket....
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        Swapped mine for a 320D - over 60mpg on a journey, 48mpg in tulipty traffic and still 177 bhp.

Comment

Good engine in the BMW 320 D. For a cheapie you can buy a 2001 Rover with the same BMW engine. (Good cars when BMW owned them)
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

what ? 60mpg on a bmw320?. which version?. I had a 320i E36(J reg) but could only muster 30mpg

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
              what ? 60mpg on a bmw320?. which version?. I had a 320i E36(J reg) but could only muster 30mpg
              Just looked it up BMW 320D 2001 +

Fuel Consumption (ExtraUrban) 62.8 mpg

Don’t forget if the BHP is 177 you will only be making that at maximum power. Cruising along you would be using a lot less. One advantage of Diesel is that you still have high toque at low revs. Much better than petrol for acceleration from 60 to 100+ mph.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

most cheap diesels are good. As long as not the ones with the new emissions kit

PSA stuff as long as no FAP xantia 405 etc
                vag with old tdi or PD engines
                JTD in Fiat or saab.

Comment

Originally posted by where did my id go? View Post
                  most cheap diesels are good. As long as not the ones with the new emissions kit

PSA stuff as long as no FAP xantia 405 etc
                  vag with old tdi or PD engines
                  JTD in Fiat or saab.
                  Also avoid RoRo, Lucas injection, go for Bosch. Some Puggots and Citroens use Bosch but you may find some cheaper versions with Lucas.

PS,

Budget to get the cam belt changed before you start using it unless the seller can prove it has been changed recently. There is no tolerance in a diesel engine if the cam belt goes.
                  Last edited by Paddy; 14 October 2008, 20:56.

Comment

Thinking of a way to leverage my costs.

its a loaded 55plate 3.0diesel Sports with 66K miles on the clock. I average 28mpg on the 3.0 diesel. So i spend about £100 weekly on petrol.

If i get a 54mpg small car, I will save about £45 weekly.
                    I am down to 20p millege allowance.

I dont want to get rid of the X5 as its my only luxury item, hence to remind me that i am not fully at the bottom of the food chain

so i have two options:-

1) Sell the x5 to my Ltd co (for £19k) and use as Company car . This means cash injection into my personal account before more high depreciation sets in.
                    But it then mean BIK use of company car, High runing fuel & posible maintenace costs but at least leveraged with tax savings i wont be getting if it was my personal car

2) Still keep the X5 as my personal car, but by a 55mpg small car as a company car (say spend about £4000). this will mean additional insurance costs. Still all paid by co.BIK as well.
                    This way i starve off higher mileage depreciation on the X5 but still not sheilded from its resale value on disposal in 1or2yr's time.

Which is a better option?

by the way, how do i calculate the bIK on option 1?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                      You speak Hindu or Punjabi?
                      There is no language called Hindu

Comment

Working...
                      X