• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what used car will give me most mpg?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How about getting a contract where you live, save time and money?
    I can't do that. I work in Customer Relationship Management, and the UK don't do that any more.

Comment

Audi Allroad, reasonable MPG and can do light offroading if you are into that stuff
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        hi,
        can anyone recommend a small used car(astra/golf size) in the the £1500 - £2500 price range that will give me good miles per gallon?

the 120 miles per day mileage is pilling up on my X5 let alone the depreciation and petrol cost

cheers

css_jay99
        Your X5 is worthless now anyway so you may as well run it into the ground.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          True, but as a Chelsea tractor with all the aerodynamic qualities of a breeze block and marginally heavier than a satellite of Jupiter an X5 is hardly cheap on fuel or servicing for that matter.

I get 48+ MPG from a Mondeo TDCI without making any special effort to drive economically I'd expect a Focus/Astra/Golf class car to do a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            How about getting a contract where you live, save time and money?
            if we all had a choice, i dont think people will work away from home

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            thanks for that dim outlook......

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            True, but as a Chelsea tractor with all the aerodynamic qualities of a breeze block and marginally heavier than a satellite of Jupiter an X5 is hardly cheap on fuel or servicing for that matter.

I get 48+ MPG from a Mondeo TDCI without making any special effort to drive economically I'd expect a Focus/Astra/Golf class car to do a bit better.
            I'll look into the last 3. cheers guys.

I am going to get it as a company car and just do work related mileage on it so as not to incur a BIK. Over what period should the car be depreciated?

While auctions might be be best place to pick a bargain, are they safe?

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I work in Customer Relationship Management, and the UK don't do that any more.
              You speak Hindu or Punjabi?

I think the Sinclair C5 is going to come back into Vogue big-time. get yours while they are still cheap

Comment

Diesel Ford Mondeo/Vauxhall/Passat sales rep-style car would be my choice -- a big stable car to eat up the motorway miles. Golf/Astra/Focus sized car can a bit skittish at motorway speeds.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Fiat produce the most economical diesel engine (multi-jet POST 2001) You will get 100 –120 HP and 60 to 70 MPG at 70 mph
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Fiat produce the most economical diesel engine (multi-jet POST 2001) You will get 100 –120 HP and 60 to 70 MPG at 70 mph
                    which model of fiat is that?
                    css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                      which model of fiat is that?
                      css_jay99
                      Have a look at autotrader.co.uk
                      Fiat Diesel up to 7 years old. Checkout the technical data.
                      Eg: Fiat Bravo JTD 65.5 MPG extra urban will give you at least 70mpg at 70mph.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X