• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gotta love learning russian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

However, both are easy compared to Hungarian which is a complete bitch and doesn't have anything in common with other European languages!

Not so fast WS, I think you will find that Hungarian is very similar indeed to Finnish, this odd fact continues to puzzle linguistics

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      Not so fast WS, I think you will find that Hungarian is very similar indeed to Finnish, this odd fact continues to puzzle linguistics
      That's true, Alf. I believe it's also similar to Estonian. However, none of them belong to the common Indo-European family of languages. Off the top of my head I can't remember which family they belong to (and I can't be arsed to google for it), but I when I was learning Hungarian I recall something in the text book about a shared root with Persian. I'm sure Threaded can enlighten us
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        That's true, Alf. I believe it's also similar to Estonian. However, none of them belong to the common Indo-European family of languages. Off the top of my head I can't remember which family they belong to (and I can't be arsed to google for it), but I when I was learning Hungarian I recall something in the text book about a shared root with Persian. I'm sure Threaded can enlighten us
        Yes it is, Estonian/Finnish/Hungarian come from the same root. Not latvian, though, which is closer to lithuanian.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Aye WS

Interesting to reflect that both the Finns and the Hungararians are well known for being prone to depression, I wonder if this is a consequence of being exposed to such an odd language, well just a thought !

Pip Pip !!!

AJP

Comment

According to Wikipedia...

Hungarian is a member of the Ugric languages, a sub-group of the Finno-Ugric language family, which in turn is a branch of the Uralic languages. Connections between the Ugric and Finnic languages were noticed in the 1670s and established, along with the entire Uralic family
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              Back in 1993 I was involved in a project with the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Russian Space Agency , (IKI) which involved the transfer of an IBM midrange computer, being part of the initial planning for the International Space Station.

Based in Germany at the time I was taught Russian for several months, altough I had to translate German to Russian , I did find it took about six months to become accuostemed to the Cyrillic script and the grammer can be daunting, but dont get too hung up about this, if you simply listen to the Russian language it is very easy to pick up.

I had a marvellous time when I went to Moscow, the Russians are friendly and intelligent and were great to work with.

But do visit St Petersburg which is is achingly beautiful , so much so I went back there again a few yeas ago.
              And then a few years later I was involved in transferring a couple of mainframe computers from there to Russia. Didn't bother with learning the language, just pointed at the big boxes and told them to take them away. The blokes had driven straight through from Minsk in a couple of old lorries which they loaded up and then drove straight back.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X