• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Friday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I've asked this question on another forum, but they haven't got as many bona fide experts as CUK so I'll ask it here as well:

Why can't the world's governments simply suspend trading on the markets for a couple of weeks? Just let everyone sit down and have a cup of tea and think about things for a bit, instead of steaming in each day and wiping billions off the value of pretty much everything for no genuine reason. It seems to me that it's being done in a gigantic panic, not because any of these FTSE 100 companies or commodities have really lost any value.

What would happen if they all just took a little holiday?
    Am no expert but I think they tried this in Russia to no avail.

Comment

I've heard say that they can't suspend it because selling stocks is the only way a lot of companies can get funds at the moment, what with no one lending just now. But that would be a small price to pay.

Maybe Russia didn't work because everyone else was still trading? I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Why can't the world's governments simply suspend trading on the markets for a couple of weeks? Just let everyone sit down and have a cup of tea and think about things for a bit, instead of steaming in each day and wiping billions off the value of pretty much everything for no genuine reason. ?
        I suspect this is what will happen, especially considering that the US government should now be on holiday due to the upcoming election.
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty View Post
          I object to the term "Black Friday"
          I object to crappy economic analysis.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            I object to crappy economic analysis.
            I think my analysis has been quite good so far. But let me throw out some predictions to be judged on:

By next Friday:

FTSE 3500
            S&P 650
            DJIA 7500
            Gold $1250 /oz
            Markets closed by governments.

I would also say that I called DJIA 9999 in March this year (not here though..). Oh, and UK house prices -50% from summer 2007.
            Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              I think my analysis has been quite good so far. But let me throw out some predictions to be judged on:

By next Friday:

FTSE 3500
              S&P 650
              DJIA 7500
              Gold $1250 /oz

I would also say that I called DJIA 9999 in March this year (not here though..). Oh, and UK house prices -50% from summer 2007.
              Sorry ace00, I'm not having a go at you - Betty is one of AtW's sockpuppets and I don't like to miss the opportunity to have a dig at him
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

By next Friday:

FTSE 3500
                S&P 650
                DJIA 7500
                Gold $1250 /oz

I predict that the NYSE, NASDAQ and the CME will not open on Monday.

Edit: I can get myself into trouble for saying that. It's only a joke but there is a holiday, but it doesn't shut everything.
                Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 10 October 2008, 08:35.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

It's squeaky bum time isn't it ?

On the plus side all my pension pots were consolidated into a cash sipp about a month ago.

Comment

I'm heading for the bunker right now.

The End[/I]
                    Dont forget your sand wedge
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      I'm heading up to Manchester for a weekend of drunken debauchery!

(Actually, a Lodge rehearsal and a pleasant time with girly...)
                      Canal Street bar

pale and lanky boy

Comment

Working...
                      X