• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown and Darling did alright yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If bailing out the City stops the whole country falling into a pit of unemployment and poverty, then it's a good option, regardless of whether the City workers deserve it. Longer term it would be good to change how things work but right now I'm happy for the fat-cats to keep their £multi-million bonuses if it improves the big picture. Trying to get revenge on the bankers is petty and counter-productive.

It's a big if though...
    Yeah DP and BD are a bit fick innit?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Experts!?!

What does AtW think? That's what I want to know.
      I won't be happy until we've had CyberTory's analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I won't be happy until we've had CyberTory's analysis.

Cretin

Comment

Yes, they made a decision at last, but with the aid of the Libs and Tories, and one year overdue..... and why did they leak it to Robert Peston YET AGAIN....... to get shares on the cheap??!! They are total hypocrites, because on one hand they blame shorters for leaks/rumours on HBOS etc and then do the same themselves. This is no way to handle financial markets!!

I must say that I had just about given up on any meaningful action and thought we were surely heading down the pan as they dithered. Darling's non-action speech to the Commons earlier in the week was a total disaster for the markets, and that appeared to spur them into action.

To say that they had this in mind for weeks is just a joke. They were panicked into this action. We now need another big cut in rates because .5% is nowhere near enough. The economy really is in dire straits.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If bailing out the City stops the whole country falling into a pit of unemployment and poverty, then it's a good option, regardless of whether the City workers deserve it. Longer term it would be good to change how things work but right now I'm happy for the fat-cats to keep their £multi-million bonuses if it improves the big picture. Trying to get revenge on the bankers is petty and counter-productive.

It's a big if though...
            You are agreeing that to have done the most obvious and the ONLY thing possible is somehow heroic - it isn't.

Comment

Bottom line is the City and finance in general is about 20-25% of the country's GDP. Without it we fall below the level of Italy.
              There isn't anything else left apart from weapons manufacture and pharma.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I have to say I agree. Every dog has his day (I even acknowledge some of the good Thatcher did), and maybe yesterday was Broon and Darlings day.

Scary part is, that if it does work then maybe it's an election winning moment ...
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Yes, they made a decision at last, but with the aid of the Libs and Tories, and one year overdue..... and why did they leak it to Robert Peston YET AGAIN....... to get shares on the cheap??!! They are total hypocrites, because on one hand they blame shorters for leaks/rumours on HBOS etc and then do the same themselves. This is no way to handle financial markets!!

I must say that I had just about given up on any meaningful action and thought we were surely heading down the pan as they dithered. Darling's non-action speech to the Commons earlier in the week was a total disaster for the markets, and that appeared to spur them into action.

To say that they had this in mind for weeks is just a joke. They were panicked into this action. We now need another big cut in rates because .5% is nowhere near enough. The economy really is in dire straits.
                  What about Northern Rock though !?

Comment

Brown and Darling did **** for a year until yesterday !!!

Comment

Brown has done as good a job as possible to protect tax payers interests. It says a lot that many other countries will now follow our lead. A decent, balanced article from bloomberg here.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...yYc&refer=home

This should be the making of Brown as PM. The fight back will start with by-election victory next month (no great shakes given their existing majority, but...). Maybe the next election wont be the landslide many expected.

4 more years?
                      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                      X