• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Medals for Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got some from my Grandfather who was in the RAF in WW1. Not sure what they are but I think they are the sort you get for just turning up.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Mum's dad was on the buses...
      Please tell me your Mum's maiden name was Blake.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Please tell me your Mum's maiden name was Blake.
        ARFUR!!!
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
          Weird to think of my self sitting on my arse all day getting good money, and grandad at my age was in the jungles fighting
          Weird indeed. My grandfather, with the same name as me, was in the Highland Light Infantry in WWI. Married my grandma on Mayday 1915 on leave from the trenches.

Dad was from S Scotland but bizarrely ended up in a Geordie regiment in WWII. Hence Geordies are cool in our house, apart from their strange tendency to believe that all scotsmen are called Jock.

I couldn't believe my luck when I got through young adulthood without having to go to war in my turn. Was never attracted to the idea; I realised only later that Dad never said anything interesting about the war until his sons were past military age - then all the stories came out.

Comment

My Grandad was a Spitfire pilot - he died a few months ago.

Still digging through his stuff but I've got his Caterpillar Club tie, which you got when your life was saved by a parachute. He shot down a FW190 which blew up right in front of him - the debris got in the prop and engine of his Spitfire so he had to jump out. He landed behind German lines as well but made his way back to the RAF base.

He was about 22 years old at the time. I look back at what I was doing at 22 (ie being a drunken irresponsible arse) and wonder if I could have stepped up to the plate like his generation did.

I doff my cap to these old boys, they are true heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
              I look back at what I was doing at 22 (ie being a drunken irresponsible arse) and wonder if I could have stepped up to the plate like his generation did.
              I often thought the youth of today could not. I've changed my mind over the last few years...

Comment

IIRC the French have a convention where the families of dead ex-service people are allowed to wear their medals at remembrance day parades and services - they wear them on the opposite side from people who were awarded the medals so people know they aren't "theirs" but they are recalling their family's service - sounded good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  IIRC the French have a convention where the families of dead ex-service people are allowed to wear their medals at remembrance day parades and services - they wear them on the opposite side from people who were awarded the medals so people know they aren't "theirs" but they are recalling their family's service - sounded good to me.
                  We do that here.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    We do that here.
                    Where is here?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      Where is here?
                      In the UK.

See here.