• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F.A.O PeoplesoftBloke ID cards: Oh dear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Some businesses, as highlighted recently by Incognito on here (and by that BBC investigation), are actively working to employ illegals. The money would be better spent enforcing existing laws, but of course ID cards aren't really about preventing illegal immigration, that's just this week's daft excuse, after preventing terrorism was shown up as bollocks.

If only they spent as much on investigating and prosecuting employers of this type as they are on snake oil "biometric solutions" to "problems" that don't exist, we'd all be better off (except the price of a curry might rise).

In spite of government propaganda, the chances of being raided are tiny.
    Amen to that.
    How about if they stopped chasing us for IR35 and went after the illegals industry instead. After all, we do contribute a huge amount to the economy whether we pay enough tax or not. The illegals and associated employers contribute nothing. I am sure that their scams are sophisticated enough to even use resources like NHS and the social.

Maybe I am just a right wing thug though eh?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      Amen to that.
      How about if they stopped chasing us for IR35 and went after the illegals industry instead. After all, we do contribute a huge amount to the economy whether we pay enough tax or not. The illegals and associated employers contribute nothing. I am sure that their scams are sophisticated enough to even use resources like NHS and the social.

Maybe I am just a right wing thug though eh?
      Nothing right or left wing about being in favour of the rule of law is there?
      This (and to be fair, previous) governments have chosen to turn a blind eye to illegal immigration and working, like many around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Nothing right or left wing about being in favour of the rule of law is there?
        This (and to be fair, previous) governments have chosen to turn a blind eye to illegal immigration and working, like many around the world.
        Gordon Brown's quite good at doing that.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Just found a quality quote from Frankin:

Benjamin Franklin:

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or (sic) security
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            And presumably that's just where costs start, since every time your details change they'd need to be updated (presumably paid for by the owner) and the technology will presumably be renewed regularly too. It's a goldmine for those working on the project.

.. and there's the revenue earner from fines for supplying wrong or late info, as well as lost cards. Yup.... yet another stealth tax.

Comment

Working...
            X