• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life & Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is a stupid poll with too many answers and it's biased towards London..

"Where do you, or would you like to, live and work?"

I currently work in Stuttgart (FYI, that's not London)
    I have previously worked all over the Uk (inc. London), Europe and Asia as well as from home.

I would like to work from home and have several homes throughout the world (inc. possibly London or commutable from London)

I currently live in Manchester (i.e not London)

and there is no multiple choice options.. therefore I voted Other

<Chef in "ive just been notified of detailed project definitions & project deadlines and boy are they tight therefore i'm grumpy until this can be re-negotiated" mode>
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I have spent most of the last ten years doing the weekly commute to the mainland.
      I do like living and working abroad, but would love to be able to work from home.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Where is the "Working from Home in London and loving it" option?

Actually, I don't like working from home. However, that should change soon.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          this is a stupid poll with too many answers and it's biased towards London..
          It is meant to be biased around (not towards) London, because it seems that for most of us the question is "London, or not?". I don't live there, don't work there, don't want to.... but it is there and looms large in UK contracting (or don't you think so?)
          I wanted to split it into 3 really: London, UK, abroad. I subdivided it to correspond to my own choices, I suppose: it seems to me to be different to live and work in London, or to use London reluctantly as a source of contracts, with no wish to live there. Ultimately it is the title that is wrong, probably: the questions are about a single subject, in my mind.
          "It is stupid"? If that = "I don't like it", OK, that I understand.

And I am trying to do a poll, not a history: one answer per person please. I am looking at work-styles, not eliciting personal details.

-- expat, haven't worked in London since 1989, currently living in UK outside London, working in Darmstadt.
          Last edited by expat; 22 September 2008, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            LOndon

Furthermore I would like LOndon to become a seperate country with passport control at the M25. And a large charge for getting past......
            Totally agree - it wouldn't bother me if I never went near the tuliphole that is London ever again. Its residents certainly seem to feel they are separate so give them independence.

Comment

I'd appreciate comments as much as votes: do we just move to London because there is work there? Or do the work but commute in daily for quality of life outside? Do we want to live so far outside that we commute to London weekly, so that we can actually live "at home".

Have we succeeded in finding work in our own part of the country?

Or do we figure, like me, that if we have to do a weekly commute, then it might as well be to anywhere, we don't need London?

Finally, others: don't fit in any of these groups. Then either this question doesn't interest you, or it does but I got it wrong, in which case do please try anoter poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Totally agree - it wouldn't bother me if I never went near the tuliphole that is London ever again. Its residents certainly seem to feel they are separate so give them independence.
                Sounds good to me.

I'm not convinced there are the jobs, at least not outside finance. I think the best place work wise for the likes of me might well be Cambridge.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

main area of work for me is the M4 corridor (reading, bracknell etc.) other than that it's kind of spread out all over the country/europe and so I don't need (and specificly try and avoid) London due to the cost of living and the impact it has on profits..

plus i really dont like the fact you visit and then blow black snot out your nose for a week..

p.s apologies for the earlier terse post expat, didnt realise you wanted a serious discussion and I was in a bad mood
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Vancouver

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      ...p.s apologies for the earlier terse post expat, didnt realise you wanted a serious discussion and I was in a bad mood
                      ... as was properly indicated within your post

I'm sure I haven't got the question, or maybe the Poll Title, correct. Maybe what I mean is,
                      Do you need London? And if not, how come?

I.e. I don't like it either. In fairness I should say that when I came down from Scotland in the 70s, London was the centre of the world to me and I loved it. I think that both the city and I have changed in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                      X