• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris wants to close Heathrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I actually think Lydd stands a better chance of succeeding due to being already being built & having a link to the high speed rail system would be a very easy upgrade via Ashford.

Also Lydd has been recently upgrading its landing systems to come up to commercial specification and has a plan already submitted to lengthen the runway to handle bigger aircraft.although the plans are currently being fought by the usual bunch of bird watchers and environmentalists
    But is a long way from anything - in particular cities - except a nuclear power station.

If Sheppey is to be linked I think they would need a bridge to Essex to try to reduce the amount of traffic on the A2/M2. This of course would mean upgrading the A13.....

Comment

Want to know more? Well, there's an island in the Indian Ocean that the indigenous population say is shaped like a young maiden carrying flowers back from the market on a summer morning. As the above picture clearly shows, Sheppey is shaped like 37,000 useless pieces of tulip floating in a swamp.

And what of the locals? Be warned: Although the official language on Sheppey is English, very few natives can speak it fluently. Tell me more. Culture? No. Jobs? There aren't any.

According to sheppeyscum's definitive pub listing, look no further than The Fiddler's Cat - It's the worst pub by far, with plenty of drugs, fights, stabbings and murders. Fight Rating 12.(out of 10!)
      Scum
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Nice idea, but what should we do with Terminal 5?
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          But is a long way from anything - in particular cities - except a nuclear power station.

If Sheppey is to be linked I think they would need a bridge to Essex to try to reduce the amount of traffic on the A2/M2. This of course would mean upgrading the A13.....
          Bridge to Essex would be a problem due to shipping clearance ,Ashford is 37 mins from St Pancreas on the fast link + 10 mins Ashford to Lydd (less if high speed)

Existing Gatwick Express is around 30 mins Victoria to Garwick
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
            Nice idea, but what should we do with Terminal 5?
            I'll take it over. That luggage handling system just might be able to handle Mrs PRC's vast shoe collection.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Part of Heathrow's attraction is as a central hub so people can change planes -
              Why?

What is it that's good about being a hub for International to International pax?

ISTM that as a country you get all of the costs and very little of the benefit.

It might make sense if you have lots of free space and an under utilised airport as building a few cargo warehouses can't cost that much, but if you have to build a new runway on land currect occupied by (relatively) expensive housing, it seems nutcase economics.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Bridge to Essex would be a problem due to shipping clearance ,
                I suspect this would have to be at least partly in tunnel.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                  Why?

What is it that's good about being a hub for International to International pax?

ISTM that as a country you get all of the costs and very little of the benefit.

tim
                  I have often wondered this - we're always being told that we have to destroy more and more of the Heathrow area* in order to compete with other airports - but why do we need to? A few thousand poorly paid jobs vs all the noise and pollution - I don't get why we'd need it that badly.

*Not that I care really - Heathrow is in the South East and therefore tulipe anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I have often wondered this - we're always being told that we have to destroy more and more of the Heathrow area* in order to compete with other airports - but why do we need to? A few thousand poorly paid jobs vs all the noise and pollution - I don't get why we'd need it that badly.

*Not that I care really - Heathrow is in the South East and therefore tulipe anyway.
                    The surrounding villages to Heathrow are dumps with no redeeming features.

Think Feltham YOI.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      I've no problems with London being the hub for air travel, however it does need to have a decent airport capable of acting as a hub.
                      with decent transport links to it... Heathrow only seems to have that: you can say "Heathrow Express, 15 minutes to London", but it isn't, it's 15 mins from Paddington station (except Terminal 4). The problem here is London, no cross-town continuation of services. If you come into London from outside, to anywhere but Paddington, Heathrow is a long way away.

And you can say "good motorway connections" but that means the junction between the M4 and M25, and there are ways in which those are less than perfect.

Comment

Working...
                      X