• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hadron Collider halted for months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    It is not trying to re-create the "big bang" itself but the state of matter shortly (very shortly) AFTER the big bang.
    Very shortly AFTER is way too close to BEFORE or DURING don't you think?

This is terra incognita - you can't expect scientists to get it right for certain, one mistake and we get mini big bang on Earth, at best it will kill the collider and all of the scientists around it - it's not "Half-Life" you know, Gordon Freeman won't save us

This collider should be closer ASAP. Enjoy the next couple of months - they could be your last one.

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
      "Maybe they do, maybe they don't"? Sums up your knowledge of physics nicely.
      I was pretty good at physics in school but by the time we reached nuclear atoms stuff I got bored - it was not practical.

One thing about physics is that old assumptions change - what used to be 100% certainty is now questioned. In fact the collider in many respects tries to achieve that - the problem I have is that in their directed attempt they can fk everyone up in process and it might be so quick that you won't even have time to curse them before you die.

At the very least they must be operating collider during late night hours - at least this way we will die in sleep

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Very shortly AFTER is way too close to BEFORE or DURING don't you think?

This is terra incognita - you can't expect scientists to get it right for certain, one mistake and we get mini big bang on Earth, at best it will kill the collider and all of the scientists around it - it's not "Half-Life" you know, Gordon Freeman won't save us

This collider should be closer ASAP. Enjoy the next couple of months - they could be your last one.
        AtW. You are trolling aren't you?

I had credited you with slightly more intelligence than this.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

He must be trolling - and I fell for it...

At the very least they must be operating collider during late night hours - at least this way we will die in sleep

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
            He must be trolling - and I fell for it...
            Well, it sounded like a joke but really - if I was running LHC project and I had concerns like mine voiced the least I could do is suggest that LHC is run at time when people in Western Europe are in deep sleep, so if catastrophic event happens the death will be quick. Of course there is an issue of America/Japan having daytime when it is dark in Europe, I suppose the solution in this case would be to run LHC on EU nights every odd day, and during day time here (night there) on even days.

Now that would be good response to concerns, not to dismiss then with scientific mambo-jambo.

HTH

P.S. For additional security LHC supporters (including adult members of scientist's families) should stand along the underground circle hand in hand next to the tube in which all that carp collides - at least this way they die first - maybe it would moderate their desire to take risks with everyone else, though personally I doubt it.
            Last edited by AtW; 20 September 2008, 15:03.

Comment

How are you planning to spend your last months then? Campaign for stopping of short selling? Tufty the squirrel for prime minister? Getting Laid?

Was it Bob Monkhouse who said "I will live each day as if its my last - with a tube down my throat in a hospital bed"?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                How are you planning to spend your last months then? Campaign for stopping of short selling? Tufty the squirrel for prime minister? Getting Laid?
                Loading up myself with debt and living it up? Oh wait the debt party is over

Comment

The parts they have been having problems with were built by in Chicago USA.

Nuff said
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    The parts they have been having problems with were built by in Chicago USA.
                    How are the parts made in the UK holding up?

Comment

Those scientists who are pro-LHC may outnumber those who are against it, but that's enough for me to say, "Test it in Hammersmith - where a few black holes would hopefully get rid of the tramps and gits who ALWAYS pick on me for "change for the phone; a light; change to buy a meal; a ciggie; change for an operation, etc." Weekend testing, only, though, as I work there Mon-Fri. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X