• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets all vote for Lib Dems...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New powers will be given to Revenue and Customs to probe so-called "golden goodbye" payoffs to company executives to ensure they are fully taxed, it adds.

This would stop bosses "being rewarded for failure", Mr Cable said.
    How? Just means the government is also rewarded for the executive's failure.

And if any of this goes to tax cuts for the poor, then isn't that also rewarding failure?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

They've long had some nutcase tax policies and opinions but some of this week's comments really take the biscuit.

1) "we're going to cut down on directors tax dodging when they get a pay off for being sacked"! Um no-one but no-one engineers getting sacked so that they can save a bit of tax on their compensation payment, it nonsense.

2) "We're going to cut done on government waste ..... by ditching the billion pound a year road budget". How is spending money on road building "waste". It might be something that satisfies a different political agenda, but it's never (of itself) waste.

Numpties.

tim

Comment

Lib Dems 'headed for government'

Nick Clegg has said the Lib Dems are on the way to power in his first conference speech as party leader.

Last edited by ratewhore; 17 September 2008, 22:27.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          In a similar way to David Steel once did. Also, he didn't actually specify when they would actually form a government.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I dont care as long as the resulting legislation is transparent and equitable.
            As long as I know my tax status and how much of my/my companies income will be going to the exchequer I can set a rate accordingly. It is the current not knowing for 6 years I have problems with, particularly as status can change with every new precedent set to law.
            Exactly
            Tax law is a mess and is over due for reform in this country.

The number of rules, loopholes, new rules and general muddying of the waters doesn't help anybody.
            Everytime the government has tried to close a loophole, all they have done is made the tax rules even less clear and earned themselves some extra pocket change in tax income whilst also pissing off even more of the voting public
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              In a similar way to David Steel once did. Also, he didn't actually specify when they would actually form a government.
              So they could both be right then?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
              X