• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dp

For once DP. not far from the truth. I am getting the dodger from many people at the moment and adding lawyers to the list wont help much

This is the issue, I have been to a lawyer and the same conclusions where reached RE habitablity and the next step is to get a definition of "habitable" from LLord and LAgent

Since a lot of you here tend to be landlords, I was looking more for opinions than defacto advice.

If they fix the place I am happy to stay ther but insurance is still scr2wing around and I have no idea(Nor does naybody else) how long it could take.

I at least want the option to terminate legally as in my situation breaking contract is not a good option.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
      ...Initially the managment company, insisted that the accommodation was habitable and only after a week of fighting with them and the management company we managed to get the managment companies insurer to agree in writing to cover our accomodation costs before and during the repairs....
      My question after my sad story is, since we are staying in alternative accomodation paid for by insurance, does this imply that the accommodation is not habitable until the repairs are made?
      Be careful, I would think not. You would need to get at least someone to use the word "uninhabitable". But IANAL.

Otherwise, it could reasonably be argued that it is habitable: if you owned the place yourself, is it imaginable that you might stay in it? I do sympathise, but if the answer is that it is unpleasant but still habitable, you might have trouble with a lawyer.

Comment

Owner

If I owned the place I amy stay there but I wouldnt expect my wife to.

But you are getting to the crux of the argument which is

By covering alternative accommodation are the insurance company implicity agreeing that the place is not habitable?

Comment

If I owned the place I amy stay there but I wouldnt expect my wife to.

But you are getting to the crux of the argument which is

By covering alternative accommodation are the insurance company implicity agreeing that the place is not habitable?
          Did they eventually cede the point and accept it was uninhabitable or did they just do it as goodwill. You may find that they haven't admitted anything.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

.. This is the issue, I have been to a lawyer and the same conclusions where reached RE habitablity and the next step is to get a definition of "habitable" from LLord and LAgent
            If the contract or particulars included a sitting room in the list of rooms and that is no longer available in practice, at least in nowhere near the condition it was when you moved in, then I'd say the contract is now void.

Anyway, what with all this health 'n safety stuff, can't you claim the dust is a health hazard (and cruel to your dog)? Surely a decent lawyer could take the landlord to the cleaners.

I'd take lots of pics and take out an injunction immediately for the landlord to return your deposit and rent from the time the ceiling collapsed. Also, go to the doctor and say you're short of breath. Seriously, you could be in for a big wad of compensation.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ceiling down, re-boarded and skimmed should not have taken more that 2 days. For decorating, you have to wait several days for the skimming to dry completely.
              Get a better landlord or tell them to get faster plasterers.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Ceiling

It old lath and plaster ceiling and it is a G2 Listed building so it has to be done up to heritage standards

So it should only take a week, but the work has not started yet and I dont know when it will.

Comment

It old lath and plaster ceiling and it is a G2 Listed building so it has to be done up to heritage standards

So it should only take a week, but the work has not started yet and I dont know when it will.
                  Stick the dog in boarding kennels and jet the family off on a long holiday somewhere exotic.

Comment

Try searching here or call your local CAB.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      Ceiling down, re-boarded and skimmed should not have taken more that 2 days. For decorating, you have to wait several days for the skimming to dry completely.
                      Get a better landlord or tell them to get faster plasterers.
                      weeks, as you'd have spent the intermediate 12 days in hospital having your head sewn back on.
                      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Working...
                      X