• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small Car Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend a Hyundai Sonata. Never driven one, but I've heard good things about it, and you can get them with automatic too.

HTH
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I'd recommend a Hyundai Sonata. Never driven one, but I've heard good things about it, and you can get them with automatic too.

HTH
      Norfolk 'n' way

Comment

There are versions of Citroen C4 and Peugot 107 and 308 with automatic gearboxes that are in VED band B. Though you may need to test drive them to see if you like the gearbox as they may be automated manuals rather than conventional automatics. The Mitsibushi i is an interesting option.

If buying a new car I would look at a Golf with 1.4 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG transmission. Both engine and gearbox are the latest technology. The gearbox has the smoothness of a conventional automatic combined with performance and economy of a manual.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          There are versions of Citroen C4 and Peugot 107 and 308 with automatic gearboxes that are in VED band B. Though you may need to test drive them to see if you like the gearbox as they may be automated manuals rather than conventional automatics. The Mitsibushi i is an interesting option.

If buying a new car I would look at a Golf with 1.4 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG transmission. Both engine and gearbox are the latest technology. The gearbox has the smoothness of a conventional automatic combined with performance and economy of a manual.
          The only issue I have with a manual is use of the clutch in heavy traffic over a period of time, as it gives me sciatica on my left side. As soon as I bought my first auto the sciatica disappeared.

Edit: actually, sciatica is a great name for a car. The Honda Sciatica.

Edit: here's another one, the Hyundai Tulip. God, I'm on form today.

Comment

The only reason for choosing a manual over the DSG gearbox would be cost. Reviewers of cars with double-clutch gearboxes have found that even when a particular model allowed them to take over control of the gear changes from the gearbox computer, they ended up driving in automatic mode, because it was so good. There was a very favourable review of a Porsche 911 with this kind of gearbox in the Telegraph.

(Edit: just to be clear, the double-clutch gearbox doesn't have a clutch pedal! It looks like a conventional automatic to the driver. The clutches are operated by a computer. There are effectively two gearboxes, one for the odd gears, another for the even, the computer does gear changes by simultaneously releasing the clutch on one gearbox and engaging it on the other, achieving a gear change in 10 milliseconds. The computer calculates which gear you are going to change into next and positions the idle gearbox for the change ahead of time.)
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 10 September 2008, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Toyota Aygo (Group 1 insurance, 62 mpg, £35 road tax).
              Drives like a go-kart i.e. good fun. Very reliable and nippy round town.

Not for motorways although going downhill, fully laden, I managed 90 mph and got a Beemer to get out of my way
              I don't think you can get an Aygo in the UK with a proper auto box. Not that anyone should really want a 1.0 L automatic.

Comment

Wife's got a Corsa. Small & reliable.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

If you want to find the right car based on VED band, emissions etc, you can use this.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearch.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    What about the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      Yes, but what about the car?

Comment

Working...
                      X