• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

True cost of living

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Were they taking Range Rovers in part exchange?
    I hope so.

Comment

Were they taking Range Rovers in part exchange?
      Doubtful, the part exchange value of Range Rovers has now dropped to less than the value of a bog roll let alone a bike innertube.

Comment

Not sure about this. The cost of fillet steak at the local Waitrose has been £30.99 per kilo for the past 3 years...
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          Not sure about this. The cost of fillet steak at the local Waitrose has been £30.99 per kilo for the past 3 years...
          Show off
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Show off
            Two minute noodles are £1 for 4 packets at the local corner store if I'm between contracts
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
              At this rate it will be cheaper to go out and shoot your own cows.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                It's OK though - El Gordo is 'cautiously optimistic'...

Unlike his chancellor!
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good that the price of chicken has gone up. Chicken was ridiclously cheap. I think you could get a whole barbecued chicken at the supermarket for about £1.50. How on earth can you raise a chicken from egg to grill and still make a profit out of £1.50?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Good that the price of chicken has gone up. Chicken was ridiclously cheap. I think you could get a whole barbecued chicken at the supermarket for about £1.50. How on earth can you raise a chicken from egg to grill and still make a profit out of £1.50?
                    Rough guess:

Say the final chicken weighs 1 kg, and over 50 days of its miserable life weighs 0.5 kg, on average.

Food required for lots of animals = 1 kWh per 22 kg per day**, so a 0.5 kg chicken needs 1/44 kWh / day, or 50/44 kWh over 50 days.

At 10pence per kWh (electricity energy prices*) = 33p per chicken. Not including lights, etc. To cook (oven uses say 3 kW, for an hour) = 3 kWh, so add 30p to cook. Total cost = 63p.

*I used electricity prices since I don't know how much chicken feed costs, though it has an energy content of around 3 kWh per kg.

** E.g. work it out for humans: 80 kg * 1 kWh / 22 kg/d = 3.6 kWh /d = 3.6 * 3,600,000 J / 4184 = 3128 Calories / day for a human. Birds tend to have a faster metabolism though, so might burn lots more and so increase the price.

Comment

You missed out transport, abbatoir, packaging, vets, rent, labour etc....

Comment

Working...
                      X