• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the tories do not deserve to win the next election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Giving money to children is not building a better future for them. As for your point about Gates and Branson, controlling your children by giving them money is done in order to make your children more like yourself than letting them find their own way in life.
    I believe in freedom of choice.

If you want to build a better future for your children, you can without IHT.

If you believe your children are better off in poverty, you can gift all your wealth to charity.

Simple as.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I believe in freedom of choice.

If you want to build a better future for your children, you can without IHT.

If you believe your children are better off in poverty, you can gift all your wealth to charity.

Simple as.
      You beileve in your freedom of choice but not for your children. You believe in setting their destiny on your terms, not theirs. You believe that they have no need to find out and discover for themselves the realities of life, in order that they can gain their own experiences and find out and learn for themselves.

Are your children so pathetic that they need to be looked after by you for the rest of their lives?

I am proud of my eldest son, he has just left school and is working his nuts off to earn money for his gap trip. He understands and appreciates the value of money and the value of hard work, I believe that he will be proud and happy to achieve whatever he achieves on his own, without my money.
      Last edited by DodgyAgent; 2 September 2008, 10:13.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

OK so you bring in this IHT

For me I would p155 the lot up the wall and enjoy myself until it all ran out then sponge off the state til I was ded

For my kids I'd tell them to sponge off the state for the cash to enjoy themselves as they was not point in working yourself to death as they wouldnt have the time to spend it

I earn money to enjoy life and hopefully leave some of it to my kids so they didnt have to struggle through some of the carp I had to put up with growing up. hopefully over a few generations my decendants can enjoy life and put something back into world without having to worry about being fed and clothed

As for looking at the kids of the rich and famous - they are a unimportant minority

Comment

Exactly. As the system stands now, you can give some money to your family when you die, or you could change your will now to leave everything to New Labour instead. If you don't believe in inheritence, you ain't forced to leave them a penny.

I'd fooking hate to be Brillo's kids.
          If you were my Kid you would read a newspaper instead of a rag.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            But imagine the amount of super hero costumes you could buy to prove how much you love your kids... before giving your money to HMRC instead of them!

Besides couldnt people do this anyway? Just change your will and give everything to the govt. Come on BP and DA, I dare ya to do it!
            poor Tay

You might understand when you have a child.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Are your children so pathetic that they need to be looked after by you for the rest of their lives?

I am proud of my eldest son, he has just left school and is working his nuts off to earn money for his gap trip. He understands and appreciates the value of money and the value of hard work, I believe that he will be proud and happy to have achieve whatever he achieves on his own, without my money.
              Shame he can't rely on you to make his life more comfortable or pass your wealth to his children isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
                As for looking at the kids of the rich and famous - they are a unimportant minority
                But the current limit for a couple is 600k plus. So the Tory change will only help the rich.

Comment

Shame he can't rely on you to make his life more comfortable or pass your wealth to his children isn't it?
                  Is that all parents are now - a bank?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    But the current limit for a couple is 600k plus. So the Tory change will only help the rich.
                    £600K = rich

Comment

Freedom

Selfishness manifests itself also in not parting with money, even if it is for your own flesh and blood.
                      Just to elaborate on the point that DP has made about freedom. If your son/daughter grows up and wants to go into teaching/nursing or any other dedicated profession that doesn't pay well, he might not be able to do that. Also being crippled by student debt - which luckily our generation has never had to face - but have you ever talked to a young graduate, they despise it!
                      If one doesn't want to leave cash - which may be squandered - then make a trust and give some property to each child, one to live in and maybe one to rent and get income from. Or as Peter Jones (Dragon's Den) suggested, a 'top-up' of 100% on their earnings from a trust.

Comment

Working...
                      X