• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All the energy suppliers in the UK putting up prices.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    Not happening in France or Germany where two of the big energy players originate from (EdF and Eon), otherwise there would be massive public protests. Seems like the UK has become a free-for-all, 'wild west' country where anyone can come, buy banks/airports/energy companies/rail franchises and do pretty much what they like due to the complete lack of regulation and absence of a decent Gov't.
    Normally I come on here to say something much like that, but I have to point out that the reason EdF raise prices in the UK and not in France, government intervention aside, is that electricity production in France is overwhelmingly nuclear (80%), and that has not gone up in price; EdF's electricity in the UK is even more overwhelmingly from fossil fuels, and they have gone up in price.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      They say it's due to wholesale natural gas prices going through the roof.

Well here's the price of natural gas over the last 3 months.

http://markets.ft.com/cgi-bin/upload...c7a08a72b2a2d8

Anyone care to explain?
      no one will take to the streets, people will just pay. It's our fault.

Comment

Oh dear

Dear OS, I have had a great 3-week holiday, looks like you could do with one too, you seem so stressed mate.

Comment

Isn't it a bit ironic to demand governments stay out of stuff, Thatcher was a genius etc but then moan when the results appear? If you voted for all those privatisations you can hardly complain now and demand state intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Isn't it a bit ironic to demand governments stay out of stuff, Thatcher was a genius etc but then moan when the results appear? If you voted for all those privatisations you can hardly complain now and demand state intervention.
            Dude, you are mistaking these people for people who know about cause and effect.

People will always complain, in the end they will complain about not having anything to complain about.
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              If you voted for all those privatisations you can hardly complain now and demand state intervention.
              A good idea can be greatly perverted - something that I think was done by Nu Liebor. The problem is that there is no real competition in many industries now - a handful of big players control the market and can play it. If its so bad then might as well go back to British Gas and British Rail - I ordered train ticket to London early morning, the cheapest I could get is £60 - just why on Earth it costs so much?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                A good idea can be greatly perverted - something that I think was done by Nu Liebor. The problem is that there is no real competition in many industries now - a handful of big players control the market and can play it. If its so bad then might as well go back to British Gas and British Rail - I ordered train ticket to London early morning, the cheapest I could get is £60 - just why on Earth it costs so much?
                It's cause all the himmygrants ave created the demand innit?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  It's cause all the himmygrants ave created the demand innit?
                  I seem to remember my friend having to go by Train to Heathrow via London in late 1996 and he also had to pay ridiculous amount of money, it's like wtf, 2 hours by train to cover 120 miles is more than flights? Rolling over rails is highly efficient way of transport ffs.

Comment

- just why on Earth it costs so much?
                    because you are willing to pay it.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

There never was any real competition. That odious worm Ridley was asked about it in the house in connection with water privatisation and he just said 'people can drink Perrier I suppose'. People voted to be fleeced by the free market rather than nationalised indistries now the market is doing it - what did you expect?

Comment

Working...
                      X