• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    so you replace it with what exactly
    He has a point - stupid people will always want to follow something (which is why the "follow the Gourd", "take off your left sandal" part of LoB is so spot on and so funny). I have no problem with Christians - people can believe there is a giant bearded fairy in the sky if they want to - what I object to is any intervention on the running of the state by religious institutions. I completely object to state funding for church schools, for example, and looking across the pond shows how dangerous intervention of religion on government (especially the top tiers of) can be.
    Last edited by Ruprect; 1 September 2008, 15:54. Reason: close parentheses
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      What about science?
      what do you mean, do you think science provides moral and ethical guidance

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        He has a point - stupid people will always want to follow something (which is why the "follow the Gourd", "take off your left sandal" part of LoB is so spot on and so funny). I have no problem with Christians - people can believe there is a giant bearded fairy in the sky if they want to - what I object to is any intervention on the running of the state by religious institutions.
        they don't believe that, quit misrepresenting

I completely object to state funding for church schools, for example, and looking across the pond shows how dangerous intervention of religion on government (especially the top tiers of) can be.
        what do you mean? what danger are you talking about?

Comment

they don't believe that, quit misrepresenting

what do you mean? what danger are you talking about?
          OK. They can believe that the world was created in 6 days, 6000 years ago, by a big bearded fairy in the sky. Is that better?

Regarding across the pond, I was referring to George W Gump, who believes that god talks to him directly. He has his finger on the button, and that is something to be concerned about.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Do you have to be a bible thumper to have morals and ethics?
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              He has his fingers up his ass
              Surely?

Comment

more than a story invented for the authors personal gain, yes
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Hmmmm

The walls of the city collapsed, and the Israelites were able to charge straight into the city. The city was completely destroyed, and every man, woman, and child in it was killed.
                  Now is that teaching children morality or ethics?
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

so you replace it with what exactly

are you that uneducated yourselves that you do not understand the role of Christianity in bringing education to people?
                    An educated and enlightened society has no need for superstitious mythical nonesense irrespective of what the religion is called.
                    Religions have always represented the single most effective form of political and cultural control available especially in populations where the majority are poorly educated, fear of being branded a heretic (social isolation, torture and horrible death) or being damned for all eternity are hugely effective scare tactics.
                    The power of religion as a tool of political control has been understood for thousands of years it's clearly visible in Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Myan, Aztec, Persian, Chinese, Middle East (including Eastern Med) African, Indian and any other ancient civilisation you care to name that maintained a written or artistic record.
                    It's also clearly visible throughout the Middle Ages and Renaissance up to the present day through the more "modern" religions i.e. Christianisty and Islam and those that survived from more ancient times like Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism.

When it comes to the educational credentials of most religions those are watered down somewhat by the requirement for conversion to and worship of the "educating" religion.

More people have killed and been killed in the name of religion than any other causes put together (I include rabid atheism as a religion here), over the centuries religions have perpetrated the vast majority of the atrocities committed on the planet.

My personal opinion is religions of all types have absolutely no place in the modern world, morals and ethics aren't don't belong to religions, they belong to rational human thought.

Comment

Linky

Now was the lesson morals or ethics when they burnt them at the stake?

Comment

Working...
                      X