• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash machines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Pins are just 4 digits - encrypting just them is crazy because it is easy to check less than 10k combinations using plain text attack.
    What are you on about? The article is on about the Server back in the datacentre where you'd think they'd encrypt the PINs so that nosy admin type doesn't have a quick browse through them.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      For that they're not.
      Only people with no brain think they are the answer to anything

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Only people with no brain think they are the answer to anything
        Are you not dead yet?
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Are you not dead yet?
          No - have a nice weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            No - have a nice weekend.
            Same to you. I hope your next poo's a hedgehog.

Comment

Pins are just 4 digits - encrypting just them is crazy because it is easy to check less than 10k combinations using plain text attack.
              How would that work? 3 incorrect attempts and strike-out, surely?

Comment

Same to you. I hope your next poo's a hedgehog.
                Charmed I'm sure

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                  How would that work? 3 incorrect attempts and strike-out, surely?
                  AtW's idea is to try and encrypt each of 4 digit numbers until the encrypted text matches the intercept. However, if the ATM adds some random data before encrypting the PIN (it should), then such attack won't work.

/geek_mode off

Comment

Surely the transaction is encrypted though or could someone just tap in and sniff their traffic?

No, it's not encrypted. Nor is the Visa and Mastercard interbank system.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The banks had a choice of 4 or 6 digits, they opted for 4

Your pin number is here... http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/pin.htm
                      Last edited by Paddy; 30 August 2008, 09:15.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X