• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor acting like permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post

The above also works well for IR35.

And makes you sound a complete tit
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      only if you think like a permie, fact is your a business not a charity and your
      sole purpose in life is to make money, that should never be forgotten.

Comment

Oh, and in reply to my own post. If its a budget / sign off issue, I have got round this in the past by working a saturday (say), then taking a monday (say) off. And then having client co manager sign a timesheet for the monday, but not the saturday.

for some reason, only beknown to client co, this was fine and everyone was happy. They got weekend cover, I got paid for my time.
        TBH I think the client are just trying it on to start with. I'm not sure that they realistically expect us to work for nothing....trouble starts when one contractor says "yeah alright then I'll do it" as in this case... When PM said this, to which I replied "If I'm working, I'm billing", he said "I thought you'd say that" and said he'd pass the response back up the chain.

I have considered the day-in-lieu thing which is probably where the compromise will come if it comes to that. I don't work for nothing. that is for permies.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          I'm one of 5 contactors in a 7 person team. Client is at a stage where they need weekend support for the next 10 or so weekends. I've said that Myco can provide this as a billable service if required. TBH, one of the reasons I went contracting was to get away from b0llox like this. Inevitably one of the permies gets lumped with a load of this type of work, but now one of the other contractors is volunteering himself to do this free of charge. Not only do I think that this is a terrible precedent to be setting, it makes me look like a selfish twunt when I refuse to "muck in for the team".

I'm inclined to just say stuff it, that's the deal, like it or lump it. The client wouldn't pay me for work not done, so why should I work for what I know I won't be billing for? Or should I lump it for the sake of "good client relations"? I've tried subtly hinting to the other contractor that he should stand firm, but he isn't/won't.
          Never, ever do anything without suitable remuneration. I heve never come across a company who expect out of hours\weekend support for nothing, and your "manager" should be ashamed for even contemplating that scenario. Just keep quiet and if he does bring up the subject again, tell him your services are available for support but not for free. The other guy will soon tire of answering the phone and dicking around with support on Sunday mornings when he getting nowt for it.

Comment

There are 2 choices here:-

1. Either do it free to match the guy in terms of what you are giving the client, and hopefully gain any benefits from doing this, such as contract renewal, opportunity, etc.

2. Refuse to do it for free, or refuse to do it at all, but run the risk of being overtaken in the pecking order by the others who are willing to do it, and in the worst case get no extension.

If it were me I would be choosing option #2 and just accept the consequences and find another gig. Does the prospect of this scare you? If so then go with option #1. What the other people do is up to them, it's not a case of acting like a permie, they are freelance just like you and can operate their business however they see fit.

Everyone has their own agenda and reasons behind what they do, just because it isn't to your liking doesn't mean it is wrong, perhaps the guy doing it sees it as a means of security or opportunity and is willing to sacrifice his weekends unpaid to achieve this? He has quite clearly chosen option 1, but by doing this you feel he has set a benchmark to which others including yourself will be judged. There is nothing you can do about this other than pick 1 of the 2 options, thats life and business.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post

2. Refuse to do it for free, or refuse to do it at all
              That's the only viable option I can see.

Comment

WHS.

Do you really think the client is interested in any of that flannel?
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You can always say you are unavailable at the weekends because you have other clients*

Tell them if and when you are free of your other commitments, you may be able to take on additional paid work

* yes you'll be lying (get over it), but who's to say you aren't knocking up a website for a mate, or fixing uncle Albert's computer...?
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    You can always say you are unavailable at the weekends because you have other clients*

Tell them if and when you are free of your other commitments, you may be able to take on additional paid work

* yes you'll be lying (get over it), but who's to say you aren't knocking up a website for a mate, or fixing uncle Albert's computer...?
                    Actually that's a very good point - which I may well wheel out (truthfully too!). Cheers.
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm amazed contractors feel the need to justify themselves to the client...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X