• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I put on my business card, and what should I omit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
    Yes but don't you think it will be more credible to have Prince2 on it when I'm going for project management work. I was only going to give them out to agents rather than friends and acquintances.
    Wrong! Friends and acquaintances should get them too. It's called 'networking'. "You know that exam I did? Let me buy you a beer 'cos I'm happy I passed... here, I have a business card now, waddya think? Take a few, you never know..."

Everybody you meet should get a business card.

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
    I thought the point of business cards was to market yourself as well give out contact details. I don't want people (that aren't friends) getting in touch with me unless it is about a job.
    Code:
    Herman Dune BSc
    HermanDune PM Enterprises
    Professional IT Project Management to the Widget Industry
    PRINCE2™ Practitioner & ABCD Certificated
    Address
    Telno
    Mobile
    Email: [email protected]
    www.HermanDune.co.uk
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Any more than who you are and what you do together with the company name and what they do if not obvious or well known(not forgetting obvious contact points), is just plain vulgar.
      That's all well and good when your business card says:
      Code:
      Al Fayed
      Harrods
      or
      Code:
      Sterios
      Easyjet
      or
      Code:
      Elizabeth Regina II
      but I don't think anyone on here is that well known.

Selling is vulgar. We are in business and what we are selling is ourselves. Ergo, our business cards must be vulgar.

I come back from conferences and professional body meetings with loads of business cards. Those that say "Name, some company, contacts" go in the recycling. Those that say something interesting are still kicking around on my desk years later. Those of people in my sector, or related technologies. The only way I know they are is because the business card says so.

There really is nothing wrong with a business card that says:

Code:
      Fred Bloggs
      Young, keen IT bod with a sense of humour.
      Seeking junior, public-sector project management work
      so I can practice my PRINCE2 Practitioner skills.
      Low-end rate charged until 2009 for the chance
      to run a real 12 month project.
      Phone me on: 07xxx xxxxxx
      if that is what you want to say.

There is no point being shy and modest when you are competing in the market, especially for project management work!
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Herman Dune
        Project Manager
        <Phone number>

Please call with your rate and location.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
        X