• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacjac View Post

Of course it is
    WHS
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
      The solution design was sorted out informally and verbally prior to my involvement.

No effort or money will be spent on implementation until the requirements are signed off. IT wont sign them off; the reason varies each time.

What business analyst would that be? Oh yeah, the one requested in every Programme Board report since January. And the project manager's job description is, of course, "Everything Else."

In your shoes, I'd get the requirements and "everything else" done properly - you're right that you shouldn't have been put in this poistion by the client and it would be easier to walk away - having said that they'd still blame you for everything.
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
        Make sure you've got an audit trail that covers your behind, and get out of there.
        WHS with knobs on.

Don't do anything while you're ... I can almost guarantee that you'll regret it later.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Go sick instead of taking a holiday. Or claim a family crisis. Anything that gets you out of there for the requisit period.

If you are working weekends at home for this gig then it's not worth it.
          WHS.

Can't play this joker too often, though this is one of those special occasions.

The "scapegoat" theory is, IMHO, not that far-fetched. No business could survive if the current insanity of non-decision making had always been the norm; something must have changed, and could mean your bollocks ending up in the blender.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            and could mean your bollocks ending up in the blender.
            ...which would not be good.

For you or your bollocks.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Or the blender I'd imagine......
              Still Invoicing

Comment

I would go to the programme manager and start making some demands. Unless you were brought in specifically to write the requirements, I would say "I'm the PM, you need a BA to write the requirements. If you don't hire a BA by x then I'll work as this the current situation is unmanageable".

I'd probably walk anyway after having to put up with such crap. If they find another PM to take this on, then more power to him/her.
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

If you go there will be trouble. And if you stay it will be double.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                    In your shoes, I'd get the requirements and "everything else" done properly
                    I have tried, hence the 53 pages describing a simple technical solution (that for AnyOtherClientCo I would have mostly implemented myself!). I'm being given the runaround and on top of that having up to five meetings a day makes a little hard to settle down and write any lengthy document. Especially since there is no project support available so we PMs are expected to take the minutes too. Glorified bleeding secretaries, we are.

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                    Don't do anything while you're ... I can almost guarantee that you'll regret it later.
                    Very wise words. I shall not walk out; I shall complete the notice period. And now I have calmed down and drunk a cold beer, I shall not hand in my notice without a gig to go to.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    I would go to the programme manager and start making some demands. Unless you were brought in specifically to write the requirements, I would say "I'm the PM, you need a BA to write the requirements. If you don't hire a BA by x then I'll work as this the current situation is unmanageable".
                    I did escalate it. Formally. Up to director level. The reaction was "Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before. 'Not enough resources, blah, blah'. It's your project and you are the PM, so just get on with it". Ditto for project support.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    I'd probably walk anyway after having to put up with such crap. If they find another PM to take this on, then more power to him/her.
                    I am that other PM that took this on... (well, I was given it, at 17:45 one Friday evening as the programme manager was leaving for the weekend) the last one walked away.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    If you go there will be trouble. And if you stay it will be double.
                    Scourer, you are an inadvertent genius . You have summed up the situation perfectly.

My CV is updated, and the first Jobserve application is about to be sent out. I'm leaving this sinking ship ... but I'll keep looting gold from its hold until the rescue boat comes alongside.
                    If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

This has got disaster written all over it. Give notice and walk. If anyone asks why explain that you're an experienced PM and can tell when a project has no chance of succeeding and you want no part of it.

Better to walk away from a 5h1t-heap straight away than spending some time rolling around in it first.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X