• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Cash question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Lockhouse,

have you also considered simply taking x % of the cash and putting it into a foreign currency bank account at your local bank ?

Strange as it may seem, over a 12 months period you might do very well betting on the pound falling against currencies, the benefit of this is the cash is always liquid and can at any time be converted back to gbp and used for something

Anyone who had bought Euro 12 months ago would now be 20% up.

Milan.
    Or bought a villa many years ago and sold last month would be very much up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      If we sell our house and move into rented for 12 months; what do we do with the not inconsiderable equity until we buy back into the market next year (or the year after)? We'd need something safe with a good return. Any ideas?

One reason I decided not to sell was that at the moment cash is not safe and shares are also very dodgy. If you have masses of equity you would have to spread it around the banks because it is still possible that one or more could go bust.
      You are only covered up to 35K per bank and that is only if one is not a subsidiary of another.

Comment

shirley it's safe in NRK ?

Milan.

Comment

shirley it's safe in NRK ?

Milan.
          Safe as houses.

Comment

Dim,

I know you're dying to tell us, how much did you make in capital appreciation and forex on the villa in cyprus ?

Milan.

Comment

Dim,

I know you're dying to tell us, how much did you make in capital appreciation and forex on the villa in cyprus ?

Milan.
              Or just how much in cold hard cash for us simpletons.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Or donate it all to the Conservatives, and then when they get in, you'll make it all back plus more in the huge tax cuts they will make for us.

They might throw in a big K or a big P too if you're lucky.

Comment

Lockhouse,

have you also considered simply taking x % of the cash and putting it into a foreign currency bank account at your local bank ?

Strange as it may seem, over a 12 months period you might do very well betting on the pound falling against currencies, the benefit of this is the cash is always liquid and can at any time be converted back to gbp and used for something

Anyone who had bought Euro 12 months ago would now be 20% up.

Milan.
                  Very good idea. ' Cept things could go the other way as well. Need to do some research first.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    Or just how much in cold hard cash for us simpletons.

Strange thing this. I sold my last house last year (at the peak ) and went rented.
                    Reckon I've "escaped" with 150K savings (tax free) since then, as said house(s) have decreased in value.
                    Mmmmmmm nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                      Strange thing this. I sold my last house last year (at the peak ) and went rented.
                      Reckon I've "escaped" with 150K savings (tax free) since then, as said house(s) have decreased in value.
                      Mmmmmmm nice.
                      Nice work. Add to that the fact that according to your forum name you are hung like a racehorse, it is all good.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X