• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

health service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Where are you living exactly? In the Germany thread you talked about just receiving your NL salary slip, and mortgage deductions etc and now you're talking about months spent waiting in the UK health system ...
    Living in UK, working in Germany, just finished in NL. I could tell you more but I'd have to kill you

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

I had an opp. under BUPA & it was very quick (set up within 1 week) & professional
      Me too - had my tonsils out about 2 years ago - the consultant fitted it in after my hols cos thats what suited at the time.

It's dead handy and I wouldn't be without it now.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

OK, I've looked at BUPA and I like it. They will take a pre-existing condition off the list after it's been cured for a year. I will probably just pay my own way on that.

That just leaves the GP. With BUPA you still see your own GP and BUPA?private care only kicks in after a referral from him. Are there any other systems? Is it worth looking for a GP that sees patients on Saturdays (private if need be), or is that a mirage?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          OK, I've looked at BUPA and I like it. They will take a pre-existing condition off the list after it's been cured for a year. I will probably just pay my own way on that.

That just leaves the GP. With BUPA you still see your own GP and BUPA?private care only kicks in after a referral from him. Are there any other systems? Is it worth looking for a GP that sees patients on Saturdays (private if need be), or is that a mirage?
          Look, GP's only earn between £120K and £250K p.a. on the NHS so don't expect too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Not having private health insurance in the UK is taking a big risk. IMHO it's very worth it. We use BUPA which costs about £160per month for two 45+ year olds.
            MyCo pays around £110/month for me and the Co Secretary who, sadly is a one parent mother! We are such a generous Co we cover her kids too!!

BUPA was the only company that did a corporate scheme for only 2 employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              MyCo pays around £110/month for me and the Co Secretary who, sadly is a one parent mother! We are such a generous Co we cover her kids too!!

BUPA was the only company that did a corporate scheme for only 2 employees.
              It's a taxable BIK anyway though, isn't it?

Comment

I use BUPA but fortunately that is through Mrs Gonzo's work scheme so doesn't cost me anything

If we need to see a GP though, I just bite the bullet and pay the £50 it costs to go to the BUPA doctor. It is worth the money just so that you don't have to deal with the NHS surgeries.

Comment

Working...
                X