• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minister wants supertax on Britain’s top earners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't this sort of mindless rubbish tried, tested, and shown to be crap, by ... er... Labour in the dark and neolithic 70s?

The super rich will just toddle off to Switzerland/wherever and pop back home for Xmas, etc.

It's the political equivalent of a desperate prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Yes but that time they forgot to put exit taxes in place, to protect the government's revenue stream
      With the European Union rules on free cross boarder travel and trade that could prove to be quite a challenge.

I remember hearing about the 98 tax rates too as a child.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        With the European Union rules on free cross boarder travel and trade that could prove to be quite a challenge.

I remember hearing about the 98 tax rates too as a child.
        As a Child!!!!!

It's like a bleedin Kindergarten on here
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          As a Child!!!!!

It's like a bleedin Kindergarten on here
          Hahaha, it's nice to feel the shoe is on the other foot, most of the forums I lurk on I'm the old git of the bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle4547848.ece

With defeat looming New Liebor is shedding it's skin. Apparently they want this tax on the rich to help the middle classes. But aren't the middle classes the ones that this lot have been milking for the last 11 yrs, to pay for their crazy social experiments?

Lewis points to families who take two holidays a year, belong to private gyms and eat in restaurants, but struggle to pay soaring bills, as the group in need of help.

“If, as a result of the current economic situation, the only way to help hard-pressed middle-class families is to ask the highest earners to pay more, then serious consideration should be given to that,” he writes.

Tax would of course be higher under the Tories !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              The Legends of the Giant Alien Lizards tell of a time under Harald the Wilson when one type of income tax reached a notional 102%...

And people used to rent their suits as a tax avoidance measure.
              I can remember working on payroll and discovering that senior management weren't on terrific salaries, presumably taking the rest in perks. It put an artificial ceiling on what the rest of us could earn.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X